How common is wrapping devices with elec tape.

I was watching the great fount of knowledge U tube and one electrical guy said to always wrap the devices - switches / receptacles with tape before mounting them in the box. My lame question is how common is this?

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Tekkie®, Iggy wrote: Unfortunately and unbelievably, it's not common at all, outside of my work I've never seen it. I've done it since this century and had numerous electricians compliment the practice and state what a great idea it is, regardless of metal or plastic box. Much safer for everyone and even another, although slight, wire retainer.

Reply to
Iggy

I know guys who have to remove that gummy crap later are not so thrilled and I have never seen it done by a professional. I suppose they know I might want it unwrapped so I could inspect the terminals if it was.

Reply to
gfretwell

Was it the April 1 edition of the DIY video ?

.. or Bubba-Jim-Bob's Discount DIY Implorium's latest promotion - F R EE - < did I say FREE >

" DIY Electrical DVD with any purchase."

.. not to be confused with the free " Root-Canal-At-Home-For-Beginners " ... on 8-track cassette or DVD.

John T. < I miss Billy Van >

Reply to
hubops

It helps careless guys to not short devices to ground or grab a live wire shoving the device into the box, but real electricians don't do it.

Reply to
clare

Probably more common in the south.  It would definitely be a red flag that an idiot had wired the building.

Reply to
Bubba

If you wait long enough electrical tape is not gummy at all, just a strip of plastic.

Reply to
Sam E

Depending on the tape that won't happen in your lifetime - perhaps not in your kid's or grandkids' lifetime either.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca posted for all of us...

Sparky channel New (best) tools every year...

Reply to
Tekkie®