What is this wrapping?

When I buy a plug plant, either online or at a garden centre, the roots have a gauze-like material wrapped around the roots. Why is this? Answers would be appreciated, please.

Reply to
Gilli99

Hi Gilli, I think what your refering to are 'Jiffy 7' growing pots that the producer has used to either take cuttings in or prick out the seeds into. They are small flat compressed discs of compost (bought flat and dry) When spaced out and watered they swell into handy (mesh enclosed) little 'pots' ideal for mass producing plants. you just plant the whole thing and the mesh will eventually rot away. They are available from garden centres and can be very useful as there is no transplanting check. Lannerman

Reply to
lannerman

I never use those. Nor do I transplant roses in those supposedly biodegradable pots. These are basically silly ways to avoid getting your hands in the dirt. Which is one of the great pleasures of the REAL gardener. If you're that finicky, get a box of vinyl (not latex; too fragile) gloves and wear the gloves when transplanting.

For transplanting roses, note that one is supposed to mound up the earth in the center of the hole and spread the rose's roots around the mound so the center of the root is supported. How are we supposed to do that with a pot?

Bah humbug!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Reposted as promised.

Reply to
Notat Home

That's only for bare root plants, obviously there'd be no pot... duh... with potted/balled n'burlapped plants roots are best undisturbed.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Iannerman, Thanks for your reply. However, what you describe is not how the plant is sold. They are in normal 3" plastic pots, in compost. The gauze they are wrapped in doesnt ever rot away. I just wondered what sort of material this is.

A friend who worked at a nursery, was shown how to wrap the plant and its done to stop the perennial from regrowing the following season, so you are forced to buy another, its a common trick apparently. Not all plants are treated this way...depends on the nursery. The stems die and unless the wrapping is removed from the roots, the plant wont regrow.

All the plants where I removed this dressing, have regrown the following season. Now I always check before I buy.

Thank you for all replies to my query.

Reply to
Gilli99