Home vacumn cleaner

I need to purchase a new home vacumn cleaner. I keep appliances/etc for a long time, so I would like to get the best quality and value possible.

We do have lots of wood floors in our home so I do need a vac that will do a good job on that. In addition, I like the idea of not having a bag to remove/replace etc.]

The brands I hear advertised the most as being good quality are Orick(sp?) and Dyson.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hi, Not interested in built-in kind?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We used to have a Kirby that has been replaced by a Hoover WindTunnel series vacuum cleaner. The Hoover is far better than the Kirby and much easier to manuever around, not to mention the built in attachments.

Reply to
badgolferman

type in vacuum cleaners at:

buffalobill

I suggest that you consider a stop at the library and read up on whatever Consumer Reports has done on them recently. They offer good advice. Don't read just the recommendations, read the part that explains why they chose one over another.

Do consider a built in system if you are not renting.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Bob,

I would strongly recommend a Sebo....it's a German built machine. It runs very smoothly, does use bags, has automatic height adjustment to get the correct brushing and sucking of the carpeting (vacuum repair guy told me this is important)....and it does floors also. I have a Kirby, and I think the Sebo is much better...and the Sebo has attachments. Bad news is that it's costly....approx. $600.00, but that's a lot less than a Kirby.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

After several years, we recently replaced our Oreck. Too much $$ for not enough power. It is, however, as advertised: Light weight.

However, POWER requires additional weight. I believe there is NO way around it.

I referenced the latest Consumer Reports and bought their top-rated and/or best buy - my first Eureka. It was almost half the price of a top-of-the-line Hoover (done a couple of those over the years). After several months, we're VERY happy with the cleaner. It does bare floors well. It DOES use a filter bag and separate HEPA filter. Very nice.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

We have a Dyson. Compared to our last vacuums, a top of the line Kenmore cannister and a top of the line Hoover upright, the Dyson is a lot better machine. It switches from carpet to smooth floor very easily, and doesn't normally eat the fringes of throw rugs. However, it doesn't fit under furniture well, so instead of just sticking the rug sucker under there, you have to move the furniture.

We kept the Kenmore around for vacuuming cars and furniture. It has an electric beater brush, and does a good job on upholstery.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

What abt Simplicity vacs?

Reply to