AC interior coils freeze; can it be due to dirty exterior condensor?

We had a recent incident were the coils in the return air plenum froze. The filter was not dirty. But due to a problem with our dryer, which vents next to the exterior condensor unit, there was a lot of lint on the exterior fan. The repairman said that was the problem, and want to charge $375 to acid wash it to clean it off.

I know coils can freeze from low freon levels and from low airflow over the coils due to a dirty filter, etc., but can the inside coils freeze due to inefficient heat transfer on the OUTSIDE unit?

Thanks.

Reply to
gm

The crook wants 375 to wash it! do it yourself with a hose.

Reply to
m Ransley

You are correct, low freon can cause a PORTION of the indoor coil to freeze, the portion closest to the expansion valve. Low airflow on the indoor coil can cause the indoor coil to freeze.

But Low airflow on the outdoor coil will NOT cause the indoor coil to freeze.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Wow! Guess I need to go into the condenser coil cleaning business.

If you can't get it thoroughly unblocked with a water hose, rent a power washer. Some even heat the water for you. It is always a good idea to use soft water. Never use detergents as many have an oil base the will insulate the fins!

With any pressure nozzle make sure the stream is straight with the fins or it will bend them!

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

No, that does not sound possible. Clogged outdoor unit would warm up the indoor coil, not freeze it.

$375 for an exterior coil cleaning? Wow, I'm too cheap.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably. I just finished cleaning (DIY) an indoor ceiling mounted evaporator coil. The service mechanic wanted $500.00 for the job.

I did it with a hose, floor covering, bucket and about 3 cans of condenser coil cleaner. The finished result looked pretty good. Didn't even need a fin comb.

But another question... I need to purchase a vacumn pump for air conditioning repairs,,, probably both home and automotive.

Which size and quality vacumn pumps are used by the pro's ???

Thanks !!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Of course this guy is not getting the job.

Reply to
mm

You don't need a good vacuum if you rinse with refrigerant several times. (Assuming it's legal to vent, of course.)

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Could be a problem in your orifice (debris clog) or TXV (clog or unresponsive). Not a dirty condensor.

Condenser problems like that are easily diagnosed by playing a garden hose on it to temporarily improve the heat transfer.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Doh! Idiot.

Reply to
Al Moran

Would you suggest to take the fan off, and pressure wash from the inside, out?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you all for the replies; they pretty much confirm my suspicions that the freezing problem is not due to debris blocking the exterior fins/coils. Looks like I'll be getting a second opinion from another contractor.

Reply to
gm

Do NOT use a pressure washer to clean the coil. You WILL bend the fins and then you will have a worse problem. Use a cleaning solution and a fin comb to clean and straighten the coil fins.

As to the original question, dirty fins outside will not cause the coil on the inside to freeze up. You are probably low on freon.

Reply to
Robert Allison