Home remedy for hand swelling from bee/wasp sting

Neither one of ya' got the brains god gave a peanut butter sandwich.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Peanut butter is the mental giant of sandwich fixin's.

Reply to
HeyBub

Uh, why?

"Politics" affects virtually every facet of daily life. The intersection of politics and home repair includes:

  • Tax credits for improvements or energy-efficient appliances
  • Whether SawStop or similar will be mandated
  • What wood one can import or buy
  • Whether one can buy oil-based paints or phosphate-containing dishwasher detergent
  • Whether one can hire a day-laborer for /hr or must use a union laborer at significantly more
  • Whether our precious bodily fluids will continue to be polluted by Fluoridation
  • etc.
Reply to
HeyBub

Meat tenderizer is good for stings. Remember that. Adolf's .

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Hey Bob, my wife got stung twice by some ground bees. These things were real nasty. The 1st one stung through her jeans and it wasn't really all that bad. But the 2nd one sounded similar you yours. It was on the middle of her forearm and by the next day it was swollen and red from he wrist to her elbow. It actually went down in a day or 2, luckily. The nest was out in front of the house near the road where there is a channel to direct water to a culvert. There was a slight over growth of wild grass and the nest was under this overhang. Good thing here is that some animal cleaned it out for us. I understand that skunk and other similar animals like the tasty treats and will tolerate the stings. I hope all is ok now.

Reply to
Art Todesco

They're probably hornets. Nasty bastards. They're aggressive and many are allergic to their venom. It doesn't sound like your wife is (allergic to them) or the reaction could be much worse. People carry epi pens because a single sting can be life-threatening.

Reply to
krw

I was wondering the same thing, considering the fact that only one person started it...

Reply to
John Doe

what type of meat tenderizer like season salt

Reply to
tamicanored684

Adolphs , season salt is not a tenderizer . Papain is the compound you want .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have the exact problem! Taking Benedryl and antibiotic and ice, it's been 35 hours and my whole finger remains swollen and itchy. What advice have you gotten.

Reply to
mikesang

Actually, Hofmann's hand continued to swell up and COMPLETELY FELL OFF

*four years ago* right after he posted that question.
Reply to
Sam Hill

On 26 Aug 2016, Sam Hill wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks for explaining that. The previous poster's out-of-the-blue message had me stumped.

Reply to
Nil

Maybe you need a $900 Eppi pen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It goes away in 6 to 7 days. Suck it up. I got stung Sunday and my hand is back close to normal.

Reply to
rbowman

35 hours !!!! You're dead!

Remember, if your erection lasts longer than 4 hours, get to a doctor immediately . . . . .

That includes finger erections !

Just think how much you'd have if a bee stings your dick....

Reply to
Paintedcow

The standard home remedy I have always heard from family and friends is to use Adolf's meat tenderizer on the sting site; something about it will deactivate the poisons released by the critter.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

One of my grandfathers used kerosene.

Reply to
Vic Smith

They cost that much? Arrghh! I agree though...if anyone is highly allergic, they should carry one.

Other than that, ice it ASAP. Doctor told me that bee venom breaks down after 10 minutes or so. Immediate icing will keep it localized until it does break down. Doctor also told me to take Benedryl immediately. He said that was basically what they gave you in shot form at the hospital.

My daughter was suspected allergic so I always kept Benedryl around. I'm not allergic. Last time I got stung by a wasp (about a month ago), I immediatedly iced my finger for 20 minutes. No swelling...just a little sting dot. By the next day even the dot was gone.

If you have lasting problems with bee stings, don't ask for advice here....call your doctor BEFORE you get stung again. Some ppl die quickly from the allergic reaction.

Reply to
Gary

Jon Danniken posted for all of us...

Yeah, that is what I heard too, but could not remember... We used to carry some stuff in the ambulances called sting kill but I cannot recall what was in it. Never used it. If they had breathing difficulties then we went to plan B.

Reply to
Tekkie®