Gas powered lawn trimmers?

I'm hoping to buy a four stroke gas powered lawn trimmer "weed eater".

Are they mostly variable speed? In other words... Do they include a speed control lever, or is it just an on/off switch?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Hi, Yes. Usually trigger on the handle.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I thought they were almost all 2-cycle engines

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Yes. Trigger on the hnadle.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Mostly, but not all.

The question is whether they are mostly variable speed.

Reply to
John Doe

My Honda 4 stroke has a throttle on the shaft handle along with the on-off switch.

Reply to
EXT

Well I don't know about mostly but the ones I see around my home by the pros are variable speed.

Reply to
Doug

I have a 4-cycle Troy Bilt trimmer with interchangeable heads (edger, blower, etc.). Not the best brand but it works quite well. It has a (variable) throttle trigger but I always use it full bore. Not sure why you'd want to slow a string trimmer down.

Reply to
krw

Mostly 2 cycle, but there are 4 cycle unit out there. I bought a Ryobi (don't know who actually made it) unit on wheels. It was only $100 (refurb) but is a great unit. It has a 4 cycle engine and a throttle/clutch on the handle. When you squeeze a little the string head starts to turn. Squeeze more, and it revs up the engine. Very quiet compared to my 2 cycle, hand held Homelite.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Because I'm planning to use it for something other than yard care.

Reply to
John Doe

Yeah, quiet (or less noisy) is very important.

Reply to
John Doe

Sounds like a Darwin moment in the making. ;-)

Reply to
krw