Right angle drives, for drilling?

Specifically, the inexpensive Vermont American 17172. Will it support an 18 V cordless drill? Milwaukee makes a heavy duty version, part number 48-06-2871, and a lighter duty version 49-22-8510. Any other right angle drives/gearing that will support the power of a Bosch/DeWalt 18V cordless drill?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Depends on what you run into. If you're doing light stuff, a light one is good. If you're hogging holes for romex or conduit, you want something more substantial. Almost every application of a right angle drill or adapter was a last resort solution, and I could not get it very accurate. But for hogging holes, they're okay. Just watch your knuckles.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book.

Steve B

You could just buy a right handed complete drill unit. I have a DeWalt right angle cordless drill and it works fine for everything I've asked of it so far.

Upscale

your wrists and forearms will thank you when you start using holesaws 2" and larger.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Distinct possibility here.

FWIW.

I am going to drive a unicycle wheel, as a push stick for in-line skating. A DeWalt compact drill (18v or less) without the chuck might be light enough and short enough to stick straight out from the axle, attached maybe with aluminum rods. The battery will go on the other side of the wheel. The angle drill does not have clutch settings that would be very useful for reducing strain on the hardware and/or preventing abrupt starts. Also, the angle drill is less powerful. Then again, I am not sure exactly how much power my application will require. An angle drill definitely would help simplify the construction. If the DeWalt angle drill had a clutch and were more powerful, buying and trying it would be a no-brainer here.

There is a lightly used DeWalt angle drill, with an XRP battery, on eBay for $100 (US). I already have a 14.4 V compact, love it. Recently ordered an 18 V compact (Amazon took my money four days ago, but has not shipped the product). That 18 V battery (from eBay) might be useful even if the angle drill does not satisfy.

Even though an angle drive attachment would require more work, some of them reduce the speed. That is potentially useful here.

Decisions decisions.

Reply to
John Doe

Get one of the bigger right angle drive weed eaters and mount your wheel on it, the slight angle on the head will allow you to hold it to one side and keep mthe driving wheel behind your center of gravity.

Don't forget to get someone to hold your beer and yell "Hey!, watch this"

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Any examples like that? YouTube?

Mine must be electric, it cannot be a noisy gasoline motor. Besides being quiet, being electric probably gives me more rights for using it on the sidewalk (here in the USA). It has to be variable speed. A weed eater probably turns too fast and would require gearing. The minimum wheel size is about 80 mm in order to work on anything except very smooth terrain.

Reply to
John Doe

I used to have a Ryobi rechargeable weed whip. It would work with a small wheel. How slow do you want to go?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Gerald Ross wrote the following:

Re. your sig question.

Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?

Almost everything worn in which the legs are totally, or partially, involved is pluralized. Besides panties, there are shorts, briefs, trunks, pants, jeans, dungarees, overalls, coveralls, etc.

Reply to
willshak

What is the typical RPM of a cordless trimmer (weed eater, grass trimmer)?

Slow enough to be pushed an incline on inline skates. That is the main purpose for a Motail (a motorized tail). Preferably fast enough to go at least 10 or 20 mph on level terrain. Also, it really needs to be variable speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but... Weed eaters work by slapping the grass very fast, they probably have little power and no speed variation.

Besides going up inclines without pushing (and the thrill of the thing), a variable speed Motail might be very useful for street skating because it allows good speed control for getting from one location to another swiftly and deliberately with less concern from pushing/stroking on potentially rough underlying terrain.

I like the idea of using an electric weed eater, but I will need to find proper gearing for it. And then there is the speed control issue.

Reply to
John Doe

"willshak" wrote

Thank you for that. I'm not sure I could have gone on through life without that tidbit of profundity.

Max

Reply to
Max

Max wrote the following:

You're welcome. I always get some satisfaction when I can help someone through life. I forgot trousers too. :-)

Reply to
willshak

LOL. Gad! My education was incomplete.

Max In El Paso, TX where the temperature is currently 14° F. Brrrrrr.

Reply to
Max

Also... For a bike pusher or in-line skating Motail, you want the motor and battery weight to be on the wheel. If you use a very small wheel, your hardware is going to take a beating. You can trick the pusher into supporting its own weight if the motor and battery is placed against the back of your upper leg, when it pushes you and pushes its wheel into the ground behind you.

Reply to
John Doe