Help Please: Painting Kitchen Melamine Cabinets

Hi all,

I am planning to paint my kitchen cabinets that are really ugly (and covered with that thin glue on melamine surface).

I've been to Home Depot and Home Hardware.

  1. Home Depot told me to sand, prime and then paint.
  2. Home Hardware told me just to sand and use the special melamine paint.

I decided to go with the latter and bought a gallon of Melamine paint. I'm not sure what grit of sandpaper to use, medium I expect? Also, the back of the paint can specifies using a lint free roller (the only ones I found are the foam ones) and a bristle brush.

Just wondering if anyone had any epxeriences that they'd like to share.

TIA

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Reply to
MP

I recently refinished mine. 3 coats of 123 primer and 3 coats Murello semi gloss paint. Foam Roller

never sanded, just scrubbed them well.

Pretty good results. I can send photos if you want to see.

c_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Mine were mahogany veneer, but I sanded, primed (1 coat) and used melamine paint (2 coats) with a foam roller with excellent results.

Reply to
Alan