Re: Jet...Junk?

you need to let go of your prejudices and buy something on it's merits.

> I've got a Powermatic BS that is fantastic. Guess where it is made. > If you are dying and the emergency room doctor happens to be a > foreigner, will you tell him to sit this one out while you bleed to > death? Use your head!

I remember a patient who didn't want a particular doctor because he was of Indian extraction... no matter that he'd lived in this country since he was four years old. Turns out the patient was a garbageman. His mama must be proud of

*him*.
Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reminds me of the college professor in NYC who sneered at the garbage men's strike back in the '60s. I asked him how much of a problem it would create if all the teachers in the city struck for 6 weeks. There isn't a damned thing wrong with being a garbage man. What's wrong with your guy is not his job.

Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

Charlie Self

My garbageman drives a fully restored '61 corvette. He lives about 3 blocks from where I do. As you say, nothing wrong with being a garbageman.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I have hand and power tools from the USA, Canada (more and more ), Taiwan, England, Thailand, Mexico, and China, The American, Canadian, and Taiwan made power tools are excellent, if you spend decent money.

Anything that is subjected to high speeds, high loads, or stress that's made in China is not allowed in my shop, for safety reasons. I try to avoid most stuff from China, unless I'm pretty sure it's not made by slave labor. There are some Chinese factories that treat people decently, but many do not.

My better Delta stuff is USA made. However, I still can't use my band saw, as my fellow American who sealed the box, failed to notice that the cabinet top plate and motor access door weren't in said box.

I've noticed that more and more of my tool choices seem to come from General and Veritas, with much of it made in Canada.

What bothers me about the "Global Economy" are the news sound bites of laid-off factory workers in Ohio, North Carolina, etc... complaining that the President hasn't created jobs, as they walk into _WAL*MART*! We're choosing our own path here.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

A fellow who wipes asses for a living doesn't think poorly of garbagemen's contributions to society in general. OTOH, this fellow had no business looking down his nose at the doctor because he was a little darker than others. The doc was raised and educated in Ohio. It was the blatant racism that offended me. The patient was openly abusive of any of the help who wasn't white. My attitude was, if he doesn't want their help, he doesn't need mine. Whenever he wanted something, I took my time finding him a white coworker.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Does he carry his prejudice to the point of refusing himself certain medications, treatments & procedures? He'd probably be surprised that not all of the medical wonders we enjoy today were invented, discovered or developed by white, English speaking Christians in the USA. It would be interesting to find out what treatments/procedures/medications he needed to regain his health and what the religious, cultural etc. background of those who brought that treatment etc. to modern medicine was. If he knew, he would probably limit his own treatments to a nice big enema. (I _hope_ those were invented by white Europeans at least) But as that might be administered by a Filipino nurse...well, I guess that is out too. So...there he is, just one more bigot, full of shiRt!

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

Mortimer Schnerd notes:

What I said: his problem is not his job. His problem is that he is bigoted fool.

Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

Charlie Self

Most that are still in business today do just that ... they take it overseas to take advantage of the lower cost of the second of the two necessities for goods production in Eco 101.

Reply to
Swingman

About 3 to 5 years ago I wanted a 'new' small outboard that had the ability to 'shift' gears. With the 3.5hp you were 'in gear' ALL the time. I had to swing it 180 degrees and lean way over the transom to be in 'reverse'. A bit tricky for getting a sailboat into a slip or to a ramp. While Yamaha, Tahotsu, and Nissan {actually made by Tahotsu !!} are all over the place, I wanted to at least *try* to 'buy American'. I had started out - MANY years ago - with an Evinrude, a great American 'standard'.

I also believe in *shopping*, plus there are actually very few 'small' engines available. I finally found an 'older' dealer - in 'downtown South Philly'. He had a 'leftover' 6hp, extra-long shaft Evinrude 'Yachttwin' - with a generator. This was EXACTLY what I was looking for - it was specifically for SAILBOATS !!

Lugged the carton home - a BIG carton, it had a 'impromptu' stand inside for shipping support - and into the shop. I put together a 'work stand' tall enough to allow the 25 inch 'shaft' to clear the floor, and got the motor set-up. As I 'prepped' it - cleaning, waxing, greasing - I noticed the attached metal 'manufacturers plate' . . . 'Made in BELGIUM' !! Talk about stunned !!

Anyhow, the motor works fine. 'Evinrude' {at least the outboards}have been sold to 'Bombardier' of Canada. And that's the last time I went 'out of my way' to be 'patriotic'.

Could I go on ranting about the inequity of it all ? - ABSOLUTELY, but it wouldn't do any good.

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Reply to
Ron Magen

TeamCasa

I would prefer to always buy American made products but that's increasingly difficult now, obviously. I don't really have anything against an import saw or other tool but if I can find one made in America that's as good as the import and isn't significantly more expensive then I'll buy it. That being said, I couldn't find any saw for anywhere near the same money as my General Internationl

50-185 LM1 that had the same features or quality. Regarding the Jet, I wasn't all that impressed with them. Nice saw, but for the money I liked the GI better. I looked at four different models of Jet saw from the cheapest contractor saw to a fully outfitted cabinet saw and all four had what I would call an unuseable miter gauge. The pin that the head rotated on was loose in it's hole. You could tighten the adjustment down as tight as possible but there was no way tighten the pin in it's hole. All four were like that. I asked the store manager at one store and the salesman at another and both had never noticed it before. Neither had an explanation but the manager guy did say he'd call Jet about it and get back to me...He never did and I suspect it's because Jet just shrugged their shoulders. I strongly considered buying the Jet hybrid saw from my local dealer but because of the useless miter gauge and, more importantly, because the dealer never addressed the issue I'm now the very satisfied owner of the GI saw. I paid less and overall got a better saw. Ok, so I haven't tried to deal with GI customer service but I haven't had too either.

Bruce Redding, Ca.

Reply to
Bruce

Second that... It's gotten to the point, sad though it may be, where Made in Taiwan is a relatively good thing. I'd buy Taiwanese over Chinese any day, even if China still insists that Taiwan is a wayward province.

American is better, of course, but let's not even go there.

AFAIK, JET has *always* been an importer. Am I wrong about that old time Wreckers? Seems they came onto the scene with imported copies of Delta tools, and they've always been an importer, rather than a manufacturer.

Reply to
Silvan

Too bad he can not afford a new one! ;-) Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Japan Equipment & Tools was, I believe, the original J.E.T.

Reply to
George

You're not an American manufacturer if your stuff is made overseas. You are an American importer then.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Agreed ... notice the trend?

Although I am not a Bush basher, and can't swear to it as it may just be partisan BS, but I recently read somewhere that the Admininistration is trying to get fast food restaurants re-classifed from "Service" to "Manufacturing".

With the number of manufacturing jobs being lost to this country, it's not hard to figure how much better that would be for the statistics.

Reply to
Swingman

Shoot Swingman, I thought McDonalds was imported food.

Reply to
Leon

McDonalds has food? When did this happen?

I heard the same thing as Swingman, the Administration wants to reclassify fast food workers as manufacturing workers.

What's sad is there are people who will quote the new statistics with the new classification as though they were numbers under the old classification.

Reply to
Mark

I've heard that as well, but couldn't place a source.

Google turned up this:

Pretty ridiculous, eh? Our government in action.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Especially love the following:

"If fast food is classified as manufacturing, perhaps the neighborhood lemonade stand should be considered part of the military-industrial complex,"

yeah!! ... now you're really fooling us! LOL.

Reply to
Swingman