Grading Rod - Measurements on the Back?

I just bought a Berger CTS Alumn Grading Rod. Works great, though I cant figure out the Measurements on the Back.

The Front are straight forward, 3', expand, 6', expand, etc...

On the Back it starts out at 5' and goes backwards up to like 16' or something.

I could see the going backwards, but why start at 4'/5' ?

Thanks

Reply to
Scott Townsend

That is how high the transit usually gets mounted?

Reply to
gfretwell

Hmmm...

Not sure how that helps? If I turned the rod upside down and made it level with the ground and had it in a 16' hole?

Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks, Scott >

Reply to
Scott Townsend