Garage door repair

I have a 18 ft two car garage door that was damaged by the spring when it broke. The top part keeps buckling when it is being raised. I tried to put a 18 ft 2x4 under the sheet metal on the top, but it still keeps bending. Any suggestions? Here is a pic:

The repair guy wants $700 for the top panel. Is there a cheaper place where to get that?

Reply to
Deodiaus

Would putting a piece of garage door rail across the broken part do any good? The ones I saw at a local farm supply store looked a lot like channel iron.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

This stuff:

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

9399562.html

oor rail across the broken part

+1

Or anything steel that's similar, eg a piece of angle iron. HD sells it in lengths. For that matter, I don't see why the 2x4 would not work if it was properly bolted in place. But angle iron would be far less noticeable.

Reply to
trader_4

I wonder if your home owners insurance might help to cover this?

Also, if you want to save $, have you considered replacing the top panel with one that doesn't have the windows? I prefer a windowless garage for security and to help keep the garage cooler in the summer.

The 18' 2x4 you installed will add substantial weight to the door which might necessitate a spring adjustment.

Reply to
None

I can't imagine a homeowner's insurance policy covering wear and tear which is what that is.

Besides, homeowner's insurance should be used as catastrophe insurance- not something to file nickel and dime claims. All they'll do is increase your premium to get it back, and then some!.

There are household warranty programs that cover stuff like your appliances, etc. But most people realize these are a waste of money.

The fine print and deductibles and limited range of repair people you can use will disappoint when something breaks. Instead, put the money you'd spend each month on the premiums in a cookie jar and when the appliance breaks, use that money to get it repaired.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

The policy will not cover the broken spring, but it very well might cover the damage caused by the spring breaking.

He has nothing to lose by asking.

Reply to
None

Yeah, he does. Read the rest of my post which you responded to

Reply to
Wade Garrett