ot car repair

I took my Infinity 2013 QX56 for a repair. The rack and pinion was damange d and needed to be repaired. When I got my car back, I noticed that controls on the steering column were not working. I took it back, and the they said that my airbag clock sprin g was broken. I find it ironic that it should break when in their care. Is it possible to damage it, say by over rotating it when the rack and pin ion is removed or otherwise while working on the car. I just find it extremely odd that it should stop working when in their care . I haven't challenged them, but on the other hand, they did not say anyth ing.

Reply to
Deodiaus

All you can do is tell them it was working prior to the R & P repair and after repairs, it's no longer working and you want them to correct it. If they refuse or suggest charging you, then it's up to you to determine how far you want to take it.

Reply to
Meanie

For the OP - and it is VERY possible to damage the spring by over-rotating it while disconnected from the rack. A competent mechanic will make sure the column is immobilized whilw working on the rack for that very reason.

They owe you a clockspring and the labour to replace it.

You don't say where you took it for repair - but a GOOD reason to take it to THE DEALER for repairs because they KNOW the proper steps to take.

If you took it to some hack because he could do the job cheaper, you got what you paid for - sorry.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

manged and needed to be repaired.

were not working. I took it back, and the they said that my airbag clock spring was broken. I find it ironic that it should break when in their ca re. Is it possible to damage it, say by over rotating it when the rack an d pinion is removed or otherwise while working on the car.

care. I haven't challenged them, but on the other hand, they did not say anything.

Also, he doesn't say how many miles on the car, but it's only 5 years old, which seems very premature for a clockspring to wear out and fail. Given t he work done, no failure before, but failure right after, seems statistically they did it. Hopefully he took it back immediately. How successful he will be in getting them to own up to it, is anybody's guess.

Reply to
trader_4

Deodiaus posted for all of us...

I presume all the repairs made were under the car-being a rack & pinion.

They probably have to rotate the wheel lock to lock to bleed the air in the rack. Now the question is was the clockspring just at it's failure point before the repair point? It would be extremely hard to prove from your position. They don't pull the wheel to make the repair. They should, as a matter of customer good will, to give you a discount on the clockspring repair.

Reply to
Tekkie®

anged and needed to be repaired.

were not working. I took it back, and the they said that my airbag clock s pring was broken. I find it ironic that it should break when in their car e. Is it possible to damage it, say by over rotating it when the rack and pinion is removed or otherwise while working on the car.

care. I haven't challenged them, but on the other hand, they did not say a nything.

The relevant question would seem to be if it's possible and/or desirable to turn the steering wheel farther than it's normal travel limits while doing the repair. Clare seemed to suggest the answer is yes, which would seem to make sense, because while doing it I assume while in the middle of the repair, the wheel isn't connected to anything.

Another possible indicator of what happened is how much of what goes through the clockspring was affected? Meaning I'd think that if one wire failed, putting some thing or things out, it would be more likely a na tural event as opposed to suddenly all the wires that go through it being open.

Reply to
trader_4