Repair Furniture top.

I have a dresser with a Photo Finish on the top. It is all bubbly looking from placing a glass on it. ( really smart,wasn't it ? ) Any suggestions how i can repair it ? I don't think i can sand the top because it is a Photo finish on Partical board.

Reply to
desgnr

Make a cardboard template of the top, and go to a kitchen/bath place, and see if they have a scrap piece of solid-surface or even thin granite that is about the right size to make an overlay for the dresser. For a few bucks more, they can even edge it for you. Solid-surface you can cut and polish at home, granite not so much.

Of course, it would probably be about as cheap to drop it off at Goodwill or Salvation Army, then drive around the other side, go in, and find a better looking one. Particle board furniture, in general, is not worth attempting to repair, IMHO.

Reply to
aemeijers

"desgnr" wrote

Lol! Oh well! Live and learn

Not and preserve the picture.

Grin, we recently re-did a particle board dresser. One of those real cheap ones from places like Kmart and all solid white.

Had some stain damages and a few scratches. It's now actually quite nice. We used it as a teaching project for Charlotte who wanted to refinish something her self and we wanted to use it as garage storage.

She learned how to use the circular hand sanger on it (took all surfaces down to base) then she learned how to use a battery type small dremmel on the small details about the drawers. She muffed one a little bit so we showed her how to use wood putty to get it built back up.

Next, we had her prime it then paint color of her choice (fire engine red in a high gloss paint). Replaced rthe knobs with some cute little china ball shaped ones with red roses (found on a destroyed dresser waiting at the corner for trash pickup and neighbor said we were welcome to them).

Charlotte wanted to try putting a picture on the top so she perused some of my garden seed catalogs and found a nice one with red roses and 2 small ones with red flowers of other types. We cut them out and glued them gently down with a thin layer of rubber cement and let that totally dry, then varnished the whole thing for a high shine with an acrylic. She got a few brush strokes in there but not bad at all!

In your case, you could *try* sanding the bubbles out with the finest grit paper very gently then applying a top coat of acrylic but most likely, the picture itself is a bit bubbled right? That you can't fix.

Reply to
cshenk

(snip)

Don't think OP means photo like you are thinking- I think he means photo as in 'fake woodgrain'. Probably Sauder or the ilk.

I wouldn't waste time or money trying to repair. If I couldn't afford a real dresser right now, I'd just set something on top to hide it. Overlay layer of stone or faux stone like solid surface, or maybe just one of those flat bin things to hold pocket junk at night, so it doesn't fall behind the dresser when you bump into it at night. Unless OP gets a lot of company in his bedroom, nobody is likely to notice but them.

Reply to
aemeijers