Garage door question

Starting a new post with this question, maybe the OP is too far down the list, (with all the trash we have been getting lately)

I noticed on my door there is no cable running through the springs that help pull the door up. I thought there were supposed to be safety cables running through the springs in case a spring would break? Is this not the case? If so, anyone know how there installed so as to clear the cable's that run on the end of the springs, where they (the springs) attach to the pulleys? Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

I don't know if I can help with your problem, but I did do something to mine as the result of such a spring breaking: Since the most likely place for such a spring to break is at the ends where a loop is bent so as to attach the springs, I looped a piece of stiff steel wire over the middle of the spring and around the horizontal track that the door rollers move in as the door opens. That way if the spring breaks (as happened to me once) it would stay over the car rather than be thrown about the garage. Make the loop of wire loose enough that it moves freely during normal operation but will not allow a broken spring to fall low enough to hurt anything in the garage. Should the spring break, the wire would be pinched between the coils of the spring and secure the now compressed spring.

Reply to
Ken

something to

You can buy a set of safety cables for doors at any home center, good hardware store, etc. The cables run through the middle of the extension springs and are attached to the door track supports. They come with the mounting hardware. At the end near the door opening, they can be attached to the horizontal support. At the far end, they can be attached to the vertical support. I had no problems with them getting in the way of the pulleys/cables. In some cases, it might take some repostioning.

If you do not have these, I would get them ASAP. I had a spring break couple years ago while I was installing a new door opener. While cycling the door for final adjustment, the spring broke. Wasn't related to the door opener, it was just it's time.

Reply to
trader4

something to

get the wire at home depot its about 10 dollars. If a spring breaks it can take out a water heater if its in the same garage or it can nail the car or a family member. I manage over 160 properties and have seen what a broken spring can do. Most of the time it just snaps and thats it but I have seen then hit the car and the water heater over the years.

Reply to
Howard