Garage door opener broken

Garage Door won?t work. Motor ?grinds? but the chain/retracting cable does not move. Unit is a Chamberlain security 1/2 horse power.

Reply to
GOM

you need to replace the gears in it, get the model number & lookup the parts, they usually have a kit like this for it:

BQ340

Thank you for sharing.

Reply to
Man Boobs

If you disconnect the opener at the door, can you manually open the door? Something must be holding it down causing the gear problems, but if it won't open easily manually, the new opener parts will be immediately shot to hell.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The parts DO wear out. I've rebuilt a handfull of them over the years

- all well over 10 years old - and have never rebuilt the same one twice.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I helped my son fix his unit. They had a parts kit of "frequently needed" stuff, mostly plastic gears, that did the trick. OP should verify if the springs broke, causing said problem.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Are the door's counterweight springs intact?

If one or both failed, the unsprung weight of the door exceeds the motor's lift capacity and it may grind- or just lock up.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

chain/retracting cable

Any ones made in at least the last several decades should trip, reverse, st op, etc, but not grind because they have force sensors. Like others have said, if the door is not freely moving and balanced it could cause the mechanism to wear out prematurely, but it shouldn't cause it to not move and make stripped gear noises.

Reply to
trader_4

Oren posted for all of us...

Can't fix stupid. -Judge Judy

Put your big boy pants on + many more. -Judge Jeanine Pirro

Reply to
Tekkie®

The parts are nylon, lubricated with cheap grease. The grease hardens. The nylon cristalizes. The gears fail. Common occurence, with no spring failures required. Putting new grease in occaisionally will slow down the failure "a bit"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Oren posted for all of us...

I won't argue with you. They are the same for those critters.

Reply to
Tekkie®