Garage door opener

10 year old Genie garage door opener has started to open part way and then stop and then close partway. The door will move about 2 foot then stop and reverse about 2 =BD feet and stop. Is there a simple solution to this dilemma? Bob
Reply to
Bob Hewitt

Check your rollers and track, along with your opener track assembly. The older Genie units reversed when they got into a bind during movement, to protect children and pets. I think around 20-25 lbs of resistance.

RJ

10 year old Genie garage door opener has started to open part way and then stop and then close partway. The door will move about 2 foot then stop and reverse about 2 ½ feet and stop. Is there a simple solution to this dilemma? Bob
Reply to
Backlash

Op-

disconnect door from opener, used "emergency handle"

can you easily open & close door w/o effort?

Does the door remain stationary when left up about 1/3 open?

If not springs need adjustment; search group for previous discussions

If door operates easily by hand, opener may be bad.

I have a 15 year old Genie (screw drive) that gets cycled at least 4 or 5 times per day. and any trouble I had with it has been door roller. track or spring related; opener still going strong.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

My garage door keeps stopping and going back up when it gets about 14" from the floor. It doesn't do this everytime. Yes, I have cleaned the laser glass and all other things seem to be in order. It's starting to bug me. Thanks in advance for help Don

Reply to
don

There are several possible issues. The first on that comes to mind is the door movement. Try disconnecting it, and moving it by hand. It should open and close easily with the tendency to stay fully open, fully closed with no sticky spots between.

If the reflector or the lamp are mounted on the track, the track may be twisting as the door moves and that could cause a misalignment.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

good suggestions

in addition the door could be binding up a little at the area that it reverses. If your closer has an adjustment for force maybe crank it up a bit to get by the area.

Reply to
SQLit

I'd say forget trying to tamper with it. Your best bet is to try reprogramming the reciever in the overhead motor controller. If it's of recent vintage, that would make more sense and easier. The slug is probably part of the RF tank circuit, so detuning it could cause freq. drift and gets you away from a fix. A passive transmitter sounds impossible, as an LED indicates curent consumption......you have a battery ! I would venture that the LED lights, but the transmitter is too weak to effectively radiate the signal. It happens. Replace the battery before you twiddle anything else. If you adjusted the RF coil, you may have doomed the frequency setting. You may have also somehow altered the DIP settings if the unit uses digital encryption. (ie dropped it and reset a DIP) Do the following:

-replace the battery, clean contacts and try again.

-check the motor housing for the learning mode. "Teach" the receiver the code for your transmitter by following instructions. Usually text on the box tells you how to teach it.

If in fact you transmitter went bad, you need to buy a replacement, and teach the motor unit the code anyway. Do a search for your brand online.

Good luck..... Les KA9GLW

Reply to
les

My remote garage door opener has stopped working and I can't find a way to get into the thing. Thought it had batteries or something to replace. There is an adjustment slug to change frequency (I guess) that does nothing at any position. Pushing on the actuation bar lights a LED but no other event. There are no visible screws or devices to remove. The metal clip for hanging on the car visor will not come off. There are finger gripping grooves on the sides of one half of the thing but cannot pull them apart. It is labeled "Overhead Door" as the brand. Suggestions for repair are welcome. Bill

Reply to
Bill

seems to be having a problem with its web site right now, but if you do a google search for overheaddoor you;ll find lots of dealers and places to look for more info. I've had good luck with our rep in this area but ymmv of course.

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Is your opener plugged in? Sounds funny, but I've seen it happen. :)

Reply to
MrC1

Thank you all for the prompt and accurate responses. The metal clip did indeed come off with more force applied revealing a screw which allowed entry to unit. I bought a new battery and adjusted the tuner until the door worked.

This newsgroup is a great resource for so many things around the house. The battery cost $2.43 compared to a replacement opener for $38. Not bad folks, much obliged. Bill

Reply to
Bill

I assure you it has battery(s) to replace somewhere. Take it into one of those battery stores, I'll bet they will find it and have a new one for you.

However it sounds like you may be having additional problems. For that you may need your owner's manual to find out how to reprogram it to the opener. There may be instructions on the web somewhere if you have lost yours.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thank you all for the prompt and accurate help. The opener indeed could be opened by screw hidden under the mounting clip. Found the battery and replaced for $2.43. Tuned the slug until operation was restored. Hoooray! It is always amazing how much information can be obtained from this newsgroup. Thanks again.

One more thing, after operating a few times the door stopped functioning even with the switch on the wall which is direct contacts. Found the starting capacitor bad and a local motor repair shop gave me one to try. Hoooray again! Back in business..... Bill

Reply to
Bill