changing garage door opener frequency

My Genie AT85 garage door opener remote control finally bit the dust. It operates on a 290 frequency but all I can find at the stores are frequency 390 replacement remotes. Is there a way I can change my receiver from 290 to 390 or do I have to scour for a 290 remote?

Steve

Reply to
SSMarsh

how old is the unit.. i got a sears that i bought about 15-20 yrs. ago.. works great.. got one remote and tried to get another for it... they tell me that the FCC does not allow them to use the frequency that i got anymore as they changed the frequency and you got to change out the receiver and buy some new remotes on a different frequency..... you might have the same problem????? there are about 100 different places on the net that i ran across trying to get remotes that would work with my opener, but to no avail.. if yours is still made then you can do a search for garage door openers and see what comes up... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

Changing the frequency is likely to be an excersize in frustration. Assuming your opener has connections for an external pushbutton operator you can buy complete receiver/transmitter sets to control it with no fuss. I bought mine from Sears but I'm sure that they are available elsewhere. Wasn't very expensive although I forget the exact numbers at the moment.

Reply to
John McGaw

According to John McGaw :

Good advice.

GDOs aren't designed to be frequency adjustable. Yeah, with expensive test gear and considerable electronics knowledge, you _might_ be able to shift the frequency, but even if you managed to accomplish that and luck out and be at the same frequency as the transmitter, it's unlikely that the modulation ("security code" settings) are compatible.

Abandoning the existing receiver and remote-controlling the direct-wire switch circuit is a much better idea.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Go to Genies web site. They have a conversion kit for older openers to convert them to the new rolling code digital style...and it comes with a remote.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

A. Freq 390 is probably out of your receivers range & retuning the receiver in a home setting without the proper equipment is against FCC regulations anyways. B. Even if you could retune the the receiver the newer Intellicode transmitters wouldn't work on your receiver anyways. C. You chances of finding a new 290 transmitter is almost zero, Not likely that someone has had one on a shelf for ten or so years. D. Follows other's advice in this post & replace the receiver & the remote but you may want to stick w/ a Genie. Your receiver is powered by 28-32 volts & many other brands take 24 volts. Or if you use another brand you will want to use a separate power adapter (transformer) for the receiver.

Doordoc

Doordoc