Furnace/air therostat replacement.

Hi - I need some help, if someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I have an Amana forced air gas furnace and a Rheem A/C unit. All was working fine, but we were redecorating and wanted to update the look of our old Mastercraft (a Canadian Tire brand) thermostat.

I went out and got one of these spiffy looking Noma 52-2558-8 units and after countless hours checking wiring, scratching my head, returning units, I finally checked on the web and can confirm (IMHO) that these units are poor quality and not worth the effort to mess around with. I got nothing but erratic operation out of two units. I am definitely not a pro, but my old one works fine still when I re-installed it.

Now, I want to replace my unit with a **GOOD** one. I read the web and the point was well taken that most people have large amounts tied up in a home and posessions - why risk it on a $30 piece of junk?

The problem I have is I do not know what specific unit to look for.

The consensus so far seems to be Honeywell as a brand, but I am open to any and all opinions/recommendations - I just want the damned thing to work as it should and reliably!

I think I need (as a minimum based on my experience as a dumb end user):

Heat and A/C controls programmable 5+1+1/ 4 settings per day independent fan on/off swing cycle setting over ride digital display (wowee) fahrenheit/celsius select hi/lo temp protection battery backup

I am in Canada, so I need a model number for this region, maybe a source as well if any one knows.

Thanks in advance! And......Happy New Year!

Reply to
BSAKing

There are probably dozens of posts in this NG that all say the same thing: get a nicely optioned Honeywell and be done with all the hassles. A Google search will get you many online sources if that is your preferred way to buy. Look them over, pick your price point (you get what you pay for, but you know tthat now, right?), order and install and the problem is solved for the next decade or so. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

1.) I have noooooo idea what's on the Tstat market these days. 2.) Bought a Programmable Honeywell in '84. Paid good money. 3.) It was committing unnatural acts by '87 and was deposited in the trash. 4.) With smoke coming out my ears, I bought the White-Rodgers Tstat that was selling like hotcakes at the time. 5.) I still see the White-Rodgers model all over the place, mine still works fine.

I've not bought Honeywell since the '80s, 'tho I got stuck with some of their components when I bought a new furnace last spring.

Does White-Rodgers still make Tstats?

Thx, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I like the Honeywell LCD panel models (8600?). They feature adaptive recovery, where you just tell it you want the temp back to 70 deg at

7am and it figures out when to get the furnace fired up, based on experience. It also has vacation hold, where you can have it maintain a set temp and then resume normal sched after X days.
Reply to
trader4

Sounds OK.

You've got one?

How long has it been in service????? :-)

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I have been checking them out and it seems to me that the

TH8110V1011 Honeywell with all the Bells and Whistles...touch screen etc., is a nice one and I think is almost identical to the IF97-1271 White Rodgers - Emerson - same bells and whistles...touch screen etc. As a matter of fact I think it turns out that White Rogers makes them for Honeywell, but I am not sure about that. Honeywell has a greenish screen, white rodgers is a blue screen.

Also the IF80-361 White Rodgers - Emerson - same options only push button instead of touch screen.

The TH8110 is about 15$ more than the IF97-1271 (my price in Canada), while the IF80-361 is half the price of either of them. The only difference I can see so far is the touch screen.

Has anyone here used the touch screens and if so, are they really that much more convenient in the long term? Being a toy freak, I like the looks of the touch screen. lol. I am not sure it is as easy to operate as the button ones.

thanks for the info and any and/or all replies!

Pudd> On 1 Jan 2007 08:57:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: >

Reply to
BSAKing