Flashlight temptation

If you actually could communicate with "The Spirit" he would tell you about your serious addiction problem (and your posting difficulties)!

Reply to
bob_villain

We had Kudzu down by Sherman Texas for grazing. I wasn't aware that it was a climbing vine. I don't think it can survive our Northern winters. But I will look into it. Thank you.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Curiosity got the better of me and when I was at Dollar General yesterday getting some cheap glucosamine for my knees... I took the giant leap and got the flashlight. I'm still trying to figure out why a big double D size flashlight with only one D cell? Maybe because it's an election year and anything can happen. Of course I took it apart and there is what looks like a simple transistor/resister circuit. The voltage at the bulb was about 1 volt with the light in the circuit. The battery measured... well it's a D cell so it's 1.5 volt. I suppose the transistor is actually some kind of voltage regulating thing. The thing will probably be "repurposed" for a bike light...maybe... or it will fall off the shelf and roll under the bed.. to be discovered someday and taken to that "what the hell is this thing and what's it worth" show on PBS. Further independent study for those wanting extra credit...

My 2 Cents

Would you like my bone stock recipe?

I had a weak moment, today. Went and bought one. The one battery worked, the light shines a very blue, poorly focussed spot on the ceiling. It's about twilight, so it's a pretty fair test of light output. I plan to do some testing after dark. Also check amp draw, battery life, and a few things like that.

So far, with the initial moment or two of testing, it appears to be a reasonable value.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Package says it's an Open Trails brand one LED light with 1 D battery. Made in China (why would that surprise anyone?) Distributed by Dolgencorp. Product Code EP-251.

The bulb is more like a Cree emitter than LED. Square base, not the round top bulb like the HF free lights.

The light is slightly brighter than a Harbor Freight free 9 LED light. The light is a little whiter than the HF light. It sure would be nice if the beam was whiter. But, it is still useful.

I tried the light in totally dark rooms. Sure is better than being in the dark. I also tried the light down the hall of my trailer. It is plenty bright enough to see if there was a burglar.

The closed end of the light has a swing out loop, for hanging. Sure enough, the light hangs nicely by the loop. Hanging on a nail, it would be good resource for power cuts.

One of these days, I'll check the amp draw, and do a life test on the provided battery. And what ever other tests. Might take it outdoors, see how far the beam reaches.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Left the light on, last night. On purpose.

12 hours later, the light is plenty bright. Original carbon zinc battery, in use.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You left a torch on all night without using a rechargeable battery?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yes, that is correct. The battery in question is a carbon zinc D cell, worth about 35 cents. It will self discharge in about a year, and then I can put it in the trash without getting any use out of it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to take AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a conversion?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Please read some of my other posts, under similar subject lines. I've explained all this. And I thought clearly so.

D cells have been around for at least 60 years. I have a flashlight "torch" that belonged to my great grand father, takes two D cells.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why would you think I or anyone else has the time to read every single post?

And lasts 12 hours?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The light was made in China. Sold by Dollar General, in USA. Was not modified at all after purchase. Cost $2.50 US dollars, and came with one carbon zinc battery.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And an LED? I didn't know they even still made Zinc Carbon batteries. They really are shit, very small capacity. And leak in not too many years.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather than a LED. Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around the flat negative end.

When I was a kid (before alkalines were invented), my Dad bought a charger that was supposed to recharge carbon zinc cells. The second charge didn't last very long, either.

I'm prefectly willing to use up such a cell, for testing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Huh? CREE make LEDS.

So why does anyone buy them? You'd only be fooled once.

10 years ago I was looking at chargers for zinc carbon/chloride and alkaline. They only charged them 10 times and the charged cycles were much lower capacity than the original. I think all the charger does is do it slowly.
Reply to
Mr Macaw

CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

CY: Price. The carbon zinc AA cells are eight for a buck, at Dollar Tree. Alkalines are four for a buck. Some consumers don't know that alkalines last four times as long. As such, a much better product for the money.

CY: In the US, Rayovac used to sell alkalines called "Renewal" which were supposed to be rechargable up to 25 times. I did buy some, but not used them for much.

Posted inline, after my initials. As a courtesy.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters are differnt than the LED commonly in use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

While I do have some inexpensive LED flashlights and lanterns - one with a crank generator, I bit the bullet in the last couple of years and got some better lighting.

For better made lighting with reasonable battery life, try dorcy.com A step up from there is fenix-store.com/

The 200 lumen Dorcy "camping" lantern ($23) runs 39 hours on 3 D cells

The 65 lumen "warm white area" lantern ($25) runs 60+ hours on 3 D cells This also has a "nightlight" amber LED with unspecified run time.

I have both and will report when (if) power is off long enough to provide a valid test. In 11 years at this location, the longest outage was about 16 hours - that was before I had these lights.

For an every day carry flashlight, look at the Fenix E12.

I initially thought it was a bit pricey ($26) and put off buying it for a while. However, unlike most of the inexpensive LED lights, I've never had to shake or thump it to get good contact with the battery - even if it's been sitting for months (same is true for my two AA MagLite with LED conversion). The E12 uses one AA cell and the specs are: High - 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes) Mid - 50 Lumens (6 hours 30 minutes) Low - 8 Lumens (40 hours) I don't remember the last time I changed the battery in it and even with recent use for two nights as the nightlight in a hotel room that didn't have one, it's still bright on the highest setting. It's waterproof to 6 feet for 30 minutes - and has been through the washing machine once (shirt pockets not checked).

My every day, many times a day light is a 2 AA mini mag with Teralux bulb. Much same as your experience. Very dependable, seldom have a dead battery. I use NiMH cells, change them out every several days when I think of it. Fits nicely in my pocket, and is brighter than an old 2d Duracell Durabeam. Light is slightly blue.

Some years ago I got some Dorcy lights at Walmart, one AAA cell. They are rather bright. Not a size I use every day, but they are nice for coat pocket. Battery goes in backwards, so it doesn't turn on and go dead by accident.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon