Good small LED flashlights

I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells. (I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have

40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.

-- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Reply to
Daniel Prince

jimmy

Harbor Freight and Home Depot have ones like that. WW

Reply to
WW

The free ones at HF exactly fit your requirements except they use 3 AAA batteries.

You won't find a single-cell led light as they require 3.6 volts (usually).

Rechargeable batteries in a flashlight is generally a bad move - the go bad just sitting there.

Reply to
HeyBub

Daniel Prince wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Got one at Walgreens.

Reply to
FlavorFlav

Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming out so often that after I had 3 or 4 "spares", I started giving them away to neighbors.

You don' t HAVE TO worry about batteries because you can get another one FREE before the batteries are dead on the last one.

Reply to
Rudy

I have a Dorcy single-AA very compact flashlight that has 3 low-power white LEDs, and it has survived some spectacular abuse. However, that one is switched on/off by a tailcap pushbutton along with some degrees of screwing/unscrewing of the tailcap overriding the tailcap pushbutton switch to force the light to be on or off. However, I do find this flashlight easy to use with one hand due to its small size and its tailcap pushbutton switch.

Brightness - I find it dimmer than a 2-AA incandescent "Mag" light having good batteries, but sufficient for most needs of a flashlight. (I got it in 2008 or 2007, and LEDs have improved after the time that the ones in this flashlight were manufactured.)

And to add - I found this single-AA Dorcy LED flashlight to be extremely able to survive extreme abuse. The one that I have, I tossed to 30 or so feet above pavement, so that it falls 30 or so feet onto pavement. It survived 15-17 of such toss/falls in a beer-fueled abuse test. Although this flashlight is "worse for the wear", I still have it and it still works in all ways that it ever did. I think that it can survive being run over by a Hummer H2, for that matter even an 18-wheeler or a loaded concrete mixer truck!

==================================

There are now Mag LED 2-AA and 3-AA flashlights. Regrettably, they lack nice pushbutton switches, but depend on screwing/unscrewing their heads to switch on and off. I find the 2-AA one to be a bit on the dim side, but the 3-AA one to be nice-and-bright. (As of a couple years ago).

Reply to
Don Klipstein

AND they give a lot of light for such a small unit cause they have 9 LED bulbs in them.

Reply to
LouB

Number of led's means nothing. Look for lumen output.

Reply to
Frank

Better test. Used one when the power went out for several hours the other night and it was fine.

Reply to
LouB

If you look on

you can find some examples of suitable lights. I've gotten 2 AA light with tailcap push button switch for about ten bucks. Takes two weeks to arrive from Hong Kong, but perfectly good light.

The "watt" ratings are over stated. My five watt light draws two watts, and my three watt single cell light draws about 0.3 watts. Both perfectly useful lights. The light is slightly blue.

Rechargable cells tend to go dead on their own. They are fine for applications when you can rotate several through a charger, and into the unit. For example, pocket digital camera with high drain flash. For occasional household use, alkalines are the way to go.

Nicads and nickel metal are lower voltage, so the light will be less bright.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Great testimony. Glad it worked for you. I find the HFT free lights have terrible machining for the threads. Needs a bit of grease, on the threads. The cheap carbon zinc cells aren't all that great.

I take the cheap batteries out, and use them in my remote reading thermometer, to use them up. And then put alkalines in as needed.

Like many folks, I have several of the HFT free lights. I store them without batteries.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He said he wanted good. Those Harbor Freight flashlights are novelty class. I have one good CREE single cell flashlight that has multiple intensities. Those Harbor Freight flashlights have significantly less intensity then the lowest intensity of my flashlight.

I have a holster for it and also a velcro holder for use as a headlight on the bike.

I used to have a whole bunch of various flashlights and it is just one of those things that if you haven't used a good one you don't know what you are missing and once you get one you wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago.

The light I have has an easily replaceable end cap which has the push button switch. So the most likely failure point is easy to fix.

Reply to
George

Number of LEDs mean nothing. They build them that way because the old technology LEDs are significantly less expensive.

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED light. I have a flashlight that has a CREE LED and it has multiple intensities. The lowest intensity is significantly brighter than those Harbor Freight flashlight.

Reply to
George

Oh well, but the price is still right.

Reply to
LouB

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs have their place and they can used to great effect in certain applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights? Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie outdoor sportsman chic.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yeah, but just on Audis--- what do they know?

Yeah-

Yeah- but it was the British Navy using them-- so probably nothing worth bothering about.

You're living a few years behind the times.

At $10 I don't consider my headband light to be overpriced-- nor at $0 is my collection of HF flashlights.

You're free to use a kerosene lamp if you choose.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:20:26 GMT, notbob wrote Re Re: Good small LED flashlights:

+1 on that.
Reply to
Caesar Romano

On ebay right now, if you act FAST, there is a CREE for $759. Plus shipping.

As for me, my wife owns a giftware business. I buy them by the dozen from suppliers. They are the Outback brand, and IIRC, we pay about $3 per. They are the 16 LED, or it's a one LED with a reflector to make it look like it has 16 LEDs, I haven't taken one apart yet.

For the greater part, most of my flashlights will meet a premature death, getting soaked in water, leaking batteries, getting smashed, or just life.

I would never go out and spend big money on a LED, no matter if I won the lottery. There's something in me that won't let me pay more than $10 for a little flashlight.

A police officer in Boulder City, Nevada was saved when a bullet struck his flashlight instead of him. The papers and company got high mileage out of that, touting what a good flashlight it was. It was not mentioned whether they field fire compared it with a $3 Outback, as the Outback has a metal frame, also. Just not the titanium, or whatever the spendy one the PO was wearing at the time. They did not state that officers have also been spared death of serious injury from bullets striking their badges, radios, wallets, money clips, and other things.

As to which one to buy, I don't have a clue. Go to the stores and shop for one that has the features you want. For me, a flashlight is a flashlight. Sure, some are better, and if you need one for a special purpose, get one. What you want to spend is up to you.

But, I wouldn't wait too long on that CREE on ebay. At $759, it's a bargain, and it won't last long. There's a buy-it-now on it.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

How did you leap from toy Harbor Freight flashlights into all that? Who mentioned *anything* about completely replacing everything with LED?

As far as them being bogus I guess all of the military & police and folks like me who use good LED flashlights every day and understand the difference must be clueless?

Reply to
George