Good small LED flashlights

Well, THAT device wouldn't be worth a damn for lurking!

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm gonna cut the heads off about three of the HF flashlights, attach them to a track and hook up a 4.5v wall-wart to see if I can't make an economical under-cabinet counter light.

Maybe I can replace the flashlight switch with a magnetic switch to turn on the flashlight when the closet door opens.

We have potential here...

Reply to
HeyBub

Site.

Got it, you don't pay attention to what I actually said, but would rather make erroneous judgements based on your own assumptions.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Subject: "five watt" flashlights follow up Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:01 PM

Runs about 3.5 hours on alkaline batteries. Draws about 0.75 amps. After 3 hours, the cells were down to about 1.13 volts. It didn't last long after that.

With NiMH cells, draws about 0.73 amps, so the brightness is about the same. I'd guess the run time depednds on the capacity of the NiMH cells. The Rayovacs from Walmart should be about 3 hours, maybe 2.5 hours.

Still, longer than the "about an hour" from my tactical Xenon.

"five watt" lights. The current draw is actually two watts. But, it's brighter than my one watt Luxeon, and takes the convenient (and less expensive) AA cells.

I'm going to keep using my mini mag for pocket carry, simply cause I'm used to the size, and twisty function. These are (almost) the same size as the Mini Mag. But, these would make good tool box lights. Since I already have a pocket carry light. Shame they didn't come with belt cases. I've got enough mini mag cases, that likely fit just fine. Belt carry might be good for working security, or some place where having a spare light would be useful.

The light is about the same bright (indoor test) as my Ultrafire Xenon. But much cheaper batteries, and probably longer run time. The Ultrafire is crisply white light, the LED is slightly blue. More blue than my Teralux. Well worth ten bucks, I think.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's astounding. The ones I've gotten lately are red with white writing and say H cell.

Earlier ones were black with red end, name Legion with yellow lightning bolt. Others were black and silver, red end, and namned Envo-Max.

Their alkalines are "Thunderbolt magnum".

Please check the weight versus known alkalines. I doubt the free cells are alkalines.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Your firepit needs a quit smoking program.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Headlights:

JawBone

Might need a current limiting resistor. I've not done much work with LED. I'm told that when they heat up, the internal resistance drops to near zero. So, running on D cells will over amp them. The small batteries aren't an issue, the small batteries can't put out enough amps to damage.

Like I say, I've not tried this. But some internet research will help. I love the idea of making under counter lights, or area lights. I also like the idea of make one on three D cells side to side, and use as a night light for power cuts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good tools are good tools. Some are inexpensive, and some are very expensive for the same type of tool. A lot has to do with the craftsman. A hammer is a hammer, and a screwdriver is a screwdriver, until the craftsman takes it to a level of use where there are obvious differences in the level of the tool. But many never approach that level of craftsmanship.

There are some people who would pay lots of money for a fountain pen, and then there are websites where the prices are so high that they do not even quote them on the Internet:

I personally see limits for the amount I spend on a fountain pen (does anyone use them any more) and flashlights. No matter what the item, someone can come up with the argument that because theirs cost more it MUST be better, and do a better job.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Puhleeze! You are feeding my compulsion to drag out of the car and beat the shit out of people with obnoxiously bright headlights. Or those who drive with fog lights on and 50 mile visibility.

You'll probably read about me someday in the newspaper, or on the Internet, most likely, as newspapers are dying.

Is this like penis envy? HEY, LOOK AT THIS! YOU CAN'T GET AWAY! LOOK! LOOK! LOOK!

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I don't know about "good" but I was in Home Depot a few days ago and they had large cards with 15 or 18 of the LED flashlights and batteries for all for about $15 to $18 (worked out @ $1 each). Plenty of spares or Christmas stocking stuffers.

Ronb

Reply to
RonB

That argument seems to work for the people who believe that the USA has the best health-care system in the world: "It costs so much that..."

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Same deal with loud radios at the camp sites.

I'm with you, after the flash light has been off for a while, I can see a lot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you have blue, gray or green eyes? I have blue eyes. My brother has brown eyes. My late mother had brown eyes.

My mother would often turn on the light over the sink when I was washing dishes and say, "Isn't that better?" I would reply, "No, it's just brighter. It's not better." My brother always seems to want rooms more brightly lit than I want them.

-- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

Reply to
Daniel Prince

As I mentioned before, it is a small form factor so I can carry it in a belt holster all of the time, it is reliable, it has a good even beam pattern, it has multiple intensities, it gets great battery life, it has even output because of the current regulator and so far it has cost $13/year and falling. If you buy one you will wonder why you didn't buy one earlier.

Reply to
George

In addition, the HF flashlights come in colors to match your political persuasion: Red (Republican), Blue (Democrat), and Black.

Reply to
HeyBub

Black for pirates, matey?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm very nearsighted and the more light, the better for me. This is because like a camera, when the iris is closed to a smaller size, the depth of field (area in focus) is greater. I have lights all over the place and I usually carry one or more flashlights with me wherever I go.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Usually, I wear eye glasses for these moments.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"George" wrote

As I mentioned before, it is a small form factor so I can carry it in a

What brand is that? I think I need one. ;-)

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to