Fine crack in bathroom sink

Last year the bottom fell out of bathroom sink. A crack that had been there for years (some idiot dropped heavy object into sink) must finally have given way.

Had new $ink in$talled. Few weeks later, somebody again made crack. This one is finer, but I'm still worried. (Should have opted for cast iron instead of porcelain???)

Is there something I can "smear" inside or outside to prevent this from going further? Utility trumps aesthetics.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

re for years (some idiot dropped heavy object into sink) must finally have given way. Had new $ink in$talled. Few weeks later, somebody again made cra ck. This one is finer, but I'm still worried. (Should have opted for cast i ron instead of porcelain???) Is there something I can "smear" inside or out side to prevent this from going further? Utility trumps aesthetics. TIA HB

Slap some boat repair fibreglass & epoxy on the outside bottom of the sink.

Reply to
hrhofmann

here for years (some idiot dropped heavy object into sink) must finally hav e given way. Had new $ink in$talled. Few weeks later, somebody again made c rack. This one is finer, but I'm still worried. (Should have opted for cast iron instead of porcelain???) Is there something I can "smear" inside or o utside to prevent this from going further? Utility trumps aesthetics. TIA H B

Thanks! Sounds good.

Now what about porcelain vs. cast iron? (for future reference) Any opinio ns out there?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

My vote would be Super Glue.

I would say let the sink dry out completely by not using it for a day or two. Then run a bead of Super Glue along the crack on the inside and on the outside. The crack will probably draw in the Super glue through capillary action, and since Super Glue is clear it won't look too bad. Maybe quickly wipe the excess off on the inside before it sets up to avoid too much of a visible ridge showing.

I actually did this once with a cracked toilet tank and it worked. It sealed the crack and it didn't leak even though it was later full of water

24/7.

As far as cast iron vs. porcelain, I wouldn't bother with cast iron. Porcelain sinks are cheap and hopefully you won't continue to have an issue with people dropping things or otherwise causing cracks in the sink.

Reply to
TomR

A few weeks? The sink and installation should be guaranteed, no? I'd call the installer; if no satisfaction, call the mfg. Installer may have tightened up the anchors unevenly.

Reply to
Norminn

re for years (some idiot dropped heavy object into sink) must finally have given way. Had new $ink in$talled. Few weeks later, somebody again made cra ck. This one is finer, but I'm still worried. (Should have opted for cast i ron instead of porcelain???) Is there something I can "smear" inside or out side to prevent this from going further? Utility trumps aesthetics. TIA HB

The only thing I can think of heavy enuf to break a sink would be a large p ipe wrench. I can't imagine dropping a gallon jug of bleach, liquid soap, etc could break a sink. Everything else in any bathroom I have ever been i n simply isn't heavy enuf. Since it was observed, how about telling us wha t caused the break?

Reply to
hrhofmann

here for years (some idiot dropped heavy object into sink) must finally hav e given way. Had new $ink in$talled. Few weeks later, somebody again made c rack. This one is finer, but I'm still worried. (Should have opted for cast iron instead of porcelain???) Is there something I can "smear" inside or o utside to prevent this from going further? Utility trumps aesthetics. TIA H B

pipe wrench. I can't imagine dropping a gallon jug of bleach, liquid soap , etc could break a sink. Everything else in any bathroom I have ever been in simply isn't heavy enuf. Since it was observed, how about telling us w hat caused the break?

The defense proceeds: Your Honor, a full can of ? left sitting on the edge fell into the sink and caused a CRACK. The crack sat there for a number o f years, in retrospect getting worse & worse -- which never occurred to me

--until one day bottom just dropped out. Probably somebody in the plumbing line could confirm that this does happen ??

New $ink in$stalled. Something LIGHTER was dropped in! Made a FINE crack, which (based on sad experience) I don't want to get "worse & worse".

Reply to
Higgs Boson

ge fell into the sink and caused a CRACK. The crack sat there for a number of years, in retrospect getting worse & worse -- which never occurred to m e --until one day bottom just dropped out. Probably somebody in the plumbi ng line could confirm that this does happen ??

k, which (based on sad experience) I don't want to get "worse & worse".

I would be demanding payment for a replacement sink from the idiot(s) that keep dropping things in the sink and cracking them.

Maybe if they have to pay for a new sink enough times they will stop doing it?

If it's a kid, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

If it's the wife, she shapes up or ships out.

If it's a "special needs" person, such as a parent with dementia or Alzheim er's, it's time to seriously consider full-time professional care much as y ou don't want to.

Reply to
dennisgauge