FedEx is slower than the Pony Express

So I'm waiting for a package from a merchant 500 miles away. The package started its journey 128 hours ago. I still have not received the package.

At little math reveals that the package is moving through the FedEx system at about 3.9 MPH.

Ironically, a bing search revealed that even the Pony Express averaged 10MPH...using horses.

And doesn't the "Ex" in FedEx stand for express?

Congratulations FedEx, you're now slower than the post office!

Reply to
Grumpy Old White Guy

That also depends on where the package is coming and going too. Winter storms have created havoc with package delivery.

OTOH, I got one delivered Thursday overnight from 1400 miles away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Seems to me that sometimes something gets balled up in the system. I have had 2 day USPS package get hung up and taken almost a month go get here. The package acording to the tracking almost made it , got with in about 40 miles , then sent to another state, then back again, each time taking about a week before moving on to the next distribution place. It started out about 4 states away on the east coast.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The Pony Express didn't deliver packages. Wells Fargo would be a better comparison. Plus, we have that song from The Music Man.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Not necessarily. "FedEx" is more a company name, with 3 distinct services: FedEx Express®, FedEx Ground®, FedEx Freight®

Reply to
Anonymous

Mebbe so...but a FedEx delivery won't leave any horse poop in your lawn or driveway

Reply to
Wade Garrett

My ColoGuard sample made it to Wisconsin from Mississippi in about 11 hours. That's fast enough for me, and no horses were abused.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

USPS? That's just DeJoy streamlining the system.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Isn't he Biden's man now?

Reply to
gfretwell

Hope he can dump him but it is not easy. He may have a few good ideas but eliminating first class mail is not one of them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had one where the tracking said something like

Left Billings 09:37 Arrived Billings 09:51

I guess the bird didn't want to fly that day. They did manage to fix it and I had my package by 19:00.

Reply to
rbowman

It would just blend in with the deer shit. That's my spring lawn care -- spreading out Bambi's winter output. I don't even need a chain harrow; a common rake will do.

Reply to
rbowman

No, of course not. He was appointed during the Trump administration, but Biden has nominated 3 people to the board that could one day remove DeJoy. Hopefully, that happens sooner rather than later.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I never heard him say he was eliminating 1st class mail but sizing the infrastructure down to the demand isn't a bad idea.

1st class mail peaked in 2000 at 103,526M pieces. Last year it was 52,624M and declining.

Source HISTORIAN UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE FEBRUARY 2021

I am sure the union disagrees.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd be fine with five (or three) deliveries per week. Could be tricky for people who get their meds by mail.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Just as long as the flow of Netflix DVD's isn't interrupted...

Reply to
rbowman

Heh. Good one.

My husband still insists on getting Netflix DVDs. I'd be happy to just stream stuff.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

My understandign is the USPS is loosing money every year. My thoughts would be to reduce the routs as the postal people retire. Double up on the routes by having one person run say route 1 on Monday, Wed, Fri one week and route 2 on Tue, Thur and maybe Saturday or eliminate Saturday mail. Then do the opposite on the next week. An extra day or two will not make much if any delivery on the mail to homes. Even the medications by mail should not be that closely time related.

Most anything time important is going out by email, text, or a phone call now that most long distance is 'free service' with many phone systems.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, they lose because Congress diddles with them. They have to prepay huge sums of pension money and were not allowed one of the requested rate increases.

There has been suggestions to eliminate one day a week delivery but that has not been allowed either. I could live with 5 days a week easily.

DeJoy mostly just effed up deliveries for the voting and caused a lot of backups in the various offices around the country. I'd also gladly pay another dime or so to mail a letter.

The USPS performs some services none of the commercial entities do. You can no longer mail your kids but they handle live animals every day.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dinosaur stuff. Streaming leaves it for dead.

Reply to
Fred