pony clamp question

I am clamping a number of 24W x 42L slat panels made up of 10 each 2

1/4" by 5/16" thick slats. I am figuring on 4 pony bar clamps per panel using a 1" square wood piece on each side to help spread the clamping pressure...is this enough for a 42" long panel ?

Also...I am using Titebond Pro glue...the bottle says to only clamp for

30 minutes...?...seems I remember clamping for 24 hrs ? Are most of you only clamping for 30- 60 minutes before releasing the clamp pressure ?

Sure would speed up my making the 24 panels !

Thanks, TR

Reply to
tr

If your joints are true and you aren't depending on clamping pressure to bring the surfaces into contact, then 4 clamps will do. On a panel with that many pieces, be sure to alternate the clamps on top and bottom of the panel to avoid bowing the panel when the clamps flex.

30 minutes is enough IF your joints are true and you aren't depending on clamp pressure to hold the surfaces in contact. Otherwise, 24 hours is needed to handle the stress placed on the joint when you release the clamps.

DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Reply to
DonkeyHody

With only 4 clamps, make the cauls wider to better spread out the clamping pressure. Straight 2 x 4s are better than 1" strips.

Reply to
Father Haskell