Favorite Mail Order Electronic Component Suppliers

I need to buy some assorted thermistors and MOSFETs. Finding them locally is seemingly impossible.

Does anyone have favorite mail order electronic component suppliers? If so, what are the names and or web sites?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

How about grainger.com? I have one close and bought some weird shit in the past.

Reply to
Thomas

These would be items that would more likely come from Mouser than Grainger's, it was a good thought however, thanks.

I am hoping to find a place that will sell me $3 worth of items and not charge me $12 for shipping. I know there are some great component suppliers out there who cater to hobbyists and not to industry, I just don't know who they are.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Have you tried DemocratElectronicsInc.gov ?

They overnight your order and send the bill to the taxpayers.

Reply to
Fred

Heh, heh, heh. I see my overt disdain for Trump, your lord and master, really chaps your ass.

Good! ;-)

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Space Cadet

Look at Digi-Key. They ship small things for about $ 3.50 first class postage.

I have ordered several things from them in the past. Others have given them good marks.

Not sure about Mouser. I have ordered from them also,but not sure about the charges. Someone told me that if it is a small order you may be able to get them to drop it in the first class envelope. Not sure about that. Try adding a note to ship cheapest way possiable.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Looks like an interesting site, thank you very much!

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Ahhh, looks promising, they have several of the components I need. I will explore further. Thanks very much!

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Digi-Key and Mouser are in the top five (all have their own wikipedia page). I do a lot of buying from Allied, another good USA company. After those, there are dozens of locals who support local high-tech industries. I'm most familiar w/ old Silicon Valley outlets I usta buy from, but Mouser, Digikey, and Allied make up the bulk of my purchases, now that I live out in the CO boonies. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Thanks, I remember Allied from years ago. Was Newark Electronics also on your buying list?

Stormin' Norman

They're sort of the OddLots of the electronics world but if they have something you need the price is right.

is more mainstream. Between them and Digikey I can usually find what I want.

Reply to
rbowman

On 07-Sep-17 5:55 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote: ...

My primary, actually...

Altho depending on what you're looking for, some of the best deals going are on eBay.

Reply to
dpb

Thanks, funny you mention eBay. I decided to use them for some of what I need and made a couple of purchases yesterday.

There are still some components I require and will peruse the other sources posted.

I admit, I miss the days of regular, local hamfests. They were a great source for the most obscure and difficult to find components.

Thanks!

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Bowman.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I have bought many things off ebay. Sofar everything has been like I thought it would be.

It is easy to tell it to list things by the price. I just bought a capacitor from them for under $ 6 shipped. They went from that price to over $ 15 from others for the same item.

I bought 6 filters for the riding lawn mower for about what they wanted for one locally. It will take a numberof years to use them, but doubt they can go bad just sitting on my shelf.

Good thing about the internet is in a short time you can compair many places for the best price.

For the hamfests, I have been going to them for over 40 years. Good place to pick up some large items that shipping is very expensive for. They have been getting smaller and not near as many now. Even the large companies have quit going to most of them in the last 10 years. Friend and I just got back from the one at Shelby, NC. We took some things to sell. Did very well with them. Most of the items we had were sold for less than $ 50. If trying to sell them on ebay the shipping and selling fee would probably have eaten up much of the money. Sold an oscilloscope for $ 75 which would be a fair price, but if sold onebay for that, the shipping would have eaten about half of that.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Many years ago, one of the most unusual things I purchased at a hamfest was a "surplus" (looking back, probably stolen) pole pig transformer which I used to power the plates in an amplifier I built for moon bounce.

Funny story, the connector I initially used to connect the transformer to the amplifier couldn't handle the high voltage (7k as I remember), the thing shorted to ground and blew a several inch hole in the concrete floor of the barn. Also tripped the main breaker on the property as well as the breakers on the pole, scared the crap out of me. Good times..... ;-)

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I posted this yesterday from Eternal September, but it never appeared ... I guess part of their problems. So here it is again:

As a lifetime hardware designer and hacker now retired away from the bigger cities, I now get most of my stuff off the internet. Ebay is a great place to get a transistor, diode, LED, etc. I've also ordered from Mouser and other places I've found using Google. I've even ordered a few things from .... wait .... China, there, I've said it. Mostly large quantities of LEDs for Christmas decorations. Also, I get the periodic emails from MPJA and Electronic Goldmine and get some stuff from them.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Art, thanks for making the effort to repost your message. You gave me two more sources I was not aware of, MPJA and Electronic Goldmine. I am sure they will be very useful!

Thanks again!

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

YOu do have to be careful with the items coming out of China. I have gotten some small things from there and they seem to be fine. A local friend bought some transistors from China off ebay and they were all bad. Not much , about $ 20 worth.

Seems like China is like Japan was after WW2. Some good stuff and some junk. Ebay is a good place to look for many items and they do have a feed back number so you can look up to see the chances of getting a bad deal. I have bought several items off ebay for just under $ 1000 and another for $ 1700, but the seller had a 100% rating on over 20 items.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery