mail order lumber and plywood

All of my local lumber sources have been sold or closed. I refuse to buy at the big box stores. Any recommendations / places to stay away from for mail order lumber & plywood. I use mostly oak and walnut and would purchase 50 or 100 bd ft. at a time. TIA

Reply to
me

I'd look into local cabinet/millwork shops first -- often they will sell small lots from stock or, if nothing else, either order from their suppliers or tell you who they use.

--

Reply to
dpb

I've had good luck with Wall Lumber:

It's been a bit over a year since I bought from them, but have purchased a couple of times and been satisfied.

I'm looking for some figured cherry and am thinking about trying advantage lumber -- anybody had any recent experiences with them?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I use to buy all my lumber there. They would give me shit sometimes over what they call 'picking' (no, not my nose!) The crap usually ends up on the top and they didn't like you to take from the bottom of a stack. This was because most people don't clean-up after themselves and ruin it for everyone else.

I shop at "the hardwood store" now. The only thing that is a little odd about their store is that they skim plane ALL of their lumber (so you can see the grain, I guess). I still haven't figured out if I like that or not. They also ship.

Garage_Woodworks

dpb wrote in news:g2fcip$6r8$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Should've said that in the original post. After local retailer retired I went to several millwork shops but they've sold and the new owners won't sell raw stock.

Reply to
me

Haven't had any experience in person, only by shipped order. I was a little concerned when first ordering that I might get the leavings such as you see on the tops of the stacks. Their shipped lumber was not at all like that -- that's made me a happy customer.

I'll keep them in mind in the future as a backup.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Hey! Something we agree on :-).

Yep, Wall Lumber is good folks. I haven't bought from them in a while, but when I did the lumber was even better quality than they had promised.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I've used two mentioned by others: Steve Wall and The Hardwood Store. NP with either, I prefer the latter. Both are in North Carolina.

Mostly, I wanted to point out that wood of a given species from North Carolina will differ from the same species obtained from, say, Wisconsin. Colder growing conditions affect the growth rings and that affects appearance and milling.

Reply to
dadiOH

HI,

I too have used Wall lumber and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have also use badger hardwoods, they are in Wisconson. They also do a good job. On some types of wood they are cheaper than Wall Lunber and some times they are more, I have the links to both on my website under links.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

I stay away from West Penn Hardwoods. Purchased QS white oak from them on two occasions. Every piece showed the ill effects of case hardening when cut. Of course, yours and others mileage may vary.

Reply to
Tom in NJ

... snip

luck.