report: greene and greene table project

I just finished my version of Thomas Stangeland's Anderson Server that's pictured in Darrell Peart's book G&G Design Elements book. Photos are up in photobucket

the s in the link -- trying to spambot proof).

I took a lot of time working out dimensions and proportions with the bracket sizes, lower shelf support (angles, width, placement,...), drawer sizes, .. Cardboard models helped with dimension / placement choices for the overall look.

I was going to build it out of maple initially and got talked into alder at the place where I get lumber. Alder was a mixed blessing - really easy to work with but very susceptible to dings, dents, scratches, and finishing woes. Frame construction was straight forward. No major mishaps except the shelf mortises on the back were cut on the wrong third of the back legs. But that's really not noticeable unless you're familiar with the design. Details of the plug holes, shapes of ebony inserts, and finishing make (or break) the piece. The alder was almost too soft to get a nice crisp plug hole. Shaping the plug tops took some (well a lot) of time to get right. I didn't try the jig in your book, I just free handed them and polished them up on the grinder.

I finally understood the point of care during finish sanding. The radiuses everywhere could've used more attention. 1/8" on alder disappeared quickly with surface sanding. Maybe the radius would've stayed defined on a harder wood.

Finishing almost broke the piece. I put a wash coat of shellac down first. The main finish was ½ clear shellac, ½ amber shellac, and medium brown tint. I was trying to simulate a mahogany finish, maybe a slight degree of success. Next time I'll finish the piece prior to assembly and insertion of the plugs. I think that would help a lot. You'll probably see a lot of finishing issues in the pictures.

I think the lines of the table are great. Next time I'll probably try the piece with a different type of lumber. Have you ever seen a Greene and Greene piece out of walnut with maple plugs? Thinking about something like that. It'd be different but maybe not in a good way.

BTW - You can see in my 'auction' album on photobucket. I scored big in the lumber dept. The man had cut, dried, and milled oak and walnut. I bought ~350 bd ft of walnut for 1.20 a bd foot. Most of the pieces are

7" - 14" wide and 9-11 ft long. I also got 5 pieces of red oak 15-18" wide 11 ft long for $40 total. There was also a stack of 4 pieces of oak 26" + wide x 11 ft. long. I didn't buy that - just didn't know what to do with pieces that massive. He had ~14 piles of lumber with 100-150 bd. Ft. in each pile. It was a great sale!
Reply to
notImpressed

I think you did a great job. Excellent grain match on the front drawers & frame....^5! Actually, it may have been best to use the softer alder lumber, for your first table, to see which details needs most attention and why.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'd like to see it, but I'm not going to go through all that trouble of making the link work. Why not try tinyURL?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Jeeze, how can you tell with those phone-sized (thumbnails) pics? (I might agree if I could actually _see_ the table.) There are no picture-sizing controls on the page, either, and the View Full Website link takes me to the Photobucket home page. Oh, bother!

-- Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense. -- Buddha

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry

Use the 'slideshow' option

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Quinn

Clearly "you" are "notImpressed".

Reply to
Leon

On my third trip there, I found that it's the mobile site. You need to view it on a phone to see it larger. Feh! That's a shame.

Slideshow option? Where? I didn't see one. Aha, _today_, the View Full Website doesn't take me to the mobile page any more. Slideshow is an option there!

-- Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense. -- Buddha

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Deleting a few s is troubling?

Also, I had no problem seeing normal size pics or enlarging the pics.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you'd just clicked on the first picture, It would have opened up, with next and previous arrowheads.

Here is a tinyurl preview:

Han

Oh, I was not impressed, but I certainly wasn't notImpressed, LeOn.

But I'm a proud cynic, libertarian, believer in: abortion/2nd Amendment/free markets/dust masks/eye&ear protection, disbeliever in: Anthropogenic Global Warming (Kumbaya)/asbestos/lead/silicone/saw scares, DEMs, etc!

Now, I know you'll instantly cry foul at that, so let me preempt some of it. Nobody should eat lead, breathe sawdust/asbestos, etc, but the scares are mostly UNfounded. 90% of the asbestos produced is of the much safer variety and only those people who worked in the bad stuff for years/decades, totally unprotected, are getting asbestosis (a =very= nasty condition.)

Most of us played with mercury as kids and didn't die or sicken, but it can kill. I followed the DDT truck every year (fogging around the Base Lake) as a kid and later tested for a 132 IQ. Every single time the computer models are updated, the global warming scare factor diminishes another notch or two. No silicone breast implant deaths occurred. And damage/uselessness from Democrats [large gov't, ACLU, Wars on Poverty/Drugs/Terror (some started by REPs but usurped and/or expanded by DEMs), healthcare initiatives which will bankrupt the public (the portion which can't opt out) while filling the pockets of the health insurers and doctors while not protecting much of anyone, etc] are self-evident. (To be honest, Republicans don't fare much better after BigGovShrub.) Lead ammo was never found to be the culprit in high levels of lead in un-shot animals, et cetera, ad nauseam. And it's truly a shame that a certain saw manufacturer took the tack which priced his safety device -out-of- the-reach- of 90% of the woodworking public when he could have been both a hero and made millions off the ubiquitous use of the device.

I hope this doesn't tilt the thread slightly off track.

-- Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense. -- Buddha

Reply to
Larry Jaques

even when I clicked the Full View Website. All I got were 2x2" pics.

Today I can see the larger pics, so -something- changed.

-- Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense. -- Buddha

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I certainly hope you did not respond with all of that form me...

Reply to
Leon

Really nice work. I actually thought the finish was well done and wouldn't = have guessed Alder. I would have made the cloud lifts a little "pillowe-er"= and I agree the edges lookm a bit sharp in a few places but those are just= preferences and have nothing to do with the quality. Very nice.

Walnut and Maple? Sorry, not for me. Maybe Cherry and Ebony or Africian Moh= ag like Derrel uses.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com