Where get hardwood?

I'm a strictly amateur woodworker. I want to make some good furniture, e.g. a chest of drawers or a table-desk and I want make at least some of it with good hardwood.

The only hardwood I can buy locally is "dressed" i.e. planed and jointed and it is really expensive. My question is where do amateurs get hardwood at a decent price? Should I try to find a lumber mill that will sell me small amounts of rough wood and bring it home and mill it myself? Do groups of woodworkers ever get together and buy wood in bulk? I live in North Carolina and I have to believe I can get some hardwood at a reasonable price somewhere.

Reply to
Billy Smith

Where in NC? The Hardwood Store

in Gibsonville is a good place to go for small batches. They have reasonable prices, you can pick your own pieces, and they'll dress them for you.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Billy I think you have it figured out. The home improvement stores are probably the most expensive places to buy hardwood. Partly because the generally sell only 4-sided finished wood and partly because the are just high. In our area, Wichita, KS, Oak can run upwards of $7/bd ft at the home improvement outlet. Other local sources are closer to 1/2 this price 3 or 4 side facing (example

This source, Woodworks Quality Woods of Oxford, KS, actually trucks most of their lumber in from Missourri or Arkansas. Some comes from SE Kansas. I am told you can cut as much as $1/bd ft off of some of Oak and more from Walnut prices by hauling it, in quantity, from SW Missourri or NW Arkansas yourself. Some clubs do capitalize on this.

Check your local yellow pages for "Hardwood", "Lumber", "Lumber Mills", etc. You might also try this link

but I have found it to be a little selective. I would think you would have great opportunity in you area.

Reply to
RonB

I live in Durham which is near Raleigh.

--Billy Smith

Reply to
Billy Smith

Don't be afraid to order through UPS shioment from an established house. I am a rank amatuer as well, and bought my cherry and poplar (rough) from Niagara Lumber. THere are plenty of sources that deliver via UPS.

Same is true for Plywood sheets. You get a much better selection via mail order, although I believe they are limited to 4x4 sheets or 5x4 sheets to comply with shipping requriements. I don't own a truck so mail order is great.

Reply to
Bmchan

Hi Billy,

I live in Raleigh and one good place is Klingspor Woodworking Shop. It is off of Capital Blvd (US-1) in Raleigh. There is also Woodcraft off of Glenwood Ave (US-70), in north Raleigh. That might be closer depending on which part of Durham you are coming from. They sell wood at reasonable prices. There are other sources but those might be easiest.

So long, Brad

Reply to
Brad H

Billy, Gibsonville is about 4-5 miles off exit 138 on Rt. 85, about 40 miles from where you live (closer for me since I live in Chapel Hill). Another source is Capital City Lumber in Raleigh. They are a bit more expensive than The Hardwood Store but is an ok source for small quantities. Also try

if you're looking for something unique.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

One bonus for driving to The Hardwood Store is that you have to pass Woodworker's Supply showroom at exit 148. This 'benefit' usually increases my wood buying trip expense substantially...

As someone else mentioned, there is also Woodcraft in North Raleigh but I've never bought wood there so can't comment on the prices, etc.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

These have been great responses. Thanks for the help.

--Billy

Reply to
Billy Smith

Don't forget ebay and the classified section of your newspaper. Have fun. Joe

Billy Smith wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

"Billy Smith" wrote in news:ogf8d.15071$DV3.10749 @bignews5.bellsouth.net:

Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan just off hwy 220 (just north of Greensboro a little ways) isn't too far from you; they are good folks to deal with (i.e. they won't mind taking time to help a new woodworker). They have a website:

There are a plethora of small sawmills in N Carolina, too; if you have space to store wood for a while (because the small mills usually sell green) you can get some excellent deals.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I live in North Carolina and I have to believe I

Reply to
Pat Barber

There's an added "plus" to Wall Lumber in Mayodan:

It's an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous drive. 220 North out of Greensboro is some of the prettiest countryside in the central part of the state.

_Why's_ this important?

Me: "Hon, I need some lumber..." SWMBO: "_MORE_ lumber?" Me: "Yeah, thought I'd go up to Mayodan. Wanna go? Leaves outta be turning about now, should be mighty pretty..." SWMBO: "Let's go."

All's fair in Love and Lumber Aquisition.

Michael "Always thinking." Baglio

Reply to
Michael Baglio

I live in Durham.

--Billy

Reply to
Billy Smith

If I find such a small sawmill do they typically dress it (plane and joint it) or do they sell it rough and I have to do it?

--Billy

Reply to
Billy Smith

You are in an excellent location for buying hardwoods. Find a woodworker's club and ask where they buy wood. I made a small cherry table from a neighbor's fallen tree, although the process of cutting and drying is rather involved.

Reply to
Phisherman

Capital Lumber in Raleigh.

Wall Lumber

should also check with Woodcraft > I live in Durham.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I had this problem at first as well, but I spent a good deal of time driving around the area looking at houses for sale, and ran across a hardwood supplier completely by accident. I thought it would be too expensive to get decent wood after looking at Menards, but I checked it out anyways, and found that the S3S lumber in random witdhs was less than half the price of any home improvement center. No specific info on NC, but sometimes just driving around will get you where you need to be eventually. BTW, the place I buy from sells mainly flooring and moldings, but they have a nice selection of planks in the back- so you may want to check those suppliers in your phonebook.

Reply to
Prometheus

I live in Denver, Co and I watch the newspaper ads for hardwood. I found

500 bd ft of red oak for @2.50 a bd ft. This is rough sawn and comparing it to the local hardwood dealers, I think I got a bargain. Now where am I going to put all that hardwood.

-- Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

  • * * Build a DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03

  • * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
  • * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
  • * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
  • * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
  • * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Reply to
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker