Faucet aerator

My water flow from my kitchen faucet seemd slow so I unscrewed the aerator to see if it was plugged. I'm having a lot of trouble reattaching it. It is required, the flow is otherwise very splashy. I can't seem to screw it in properly despite several tries. There seems to a trick to it I'm not familiar with. I've had no problems in the past with other faucets.

Suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

The aerator has fine-pitch threads. You will need to have it perfectly "square" to engage the threads. If you've already forced it, you've probably cross-threaded it.

Hint: assuming it is nickel plated (or otherwise "nicely finished"), some masking tape wrapped around it can make it easier to handle without marring the finish.

Hint2: you just need to "snug it up", not tighten it aggressively!

Reply to
Don Y

Sorry, this is laugh of my day this morning.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Meditation in the Tibetan tradition I think it is. Become one with the problem and view it from within.

Reply to
WWS TEXAS

For some things, turning the thing counterclockewise, until you feel the click/thump when it goes over the edge of the thread and falls one wavelength, helps to find the right spot to start turning clockwise.

I don't think aerators are one of those things, but it's worth a try.

Reply to
Micky

^^^^^^^^

+1 This "trick" has worked for me many times. Especially on fine threads. Really good for any threaded connection. (plus holding it square)
Reply to
Retired

Threads may be buggered up or corroded. I'd toss it and get a new one for $4.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:zP2dnc4Q--FnHT snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The old one works after fussing with it but it's on cockeyed. As you suggest, I'll be picking up a new one at Walmart when I get groceries there today.

Reply to
KenK

Worst case would be that's due to bunged up threads on the spigot, rather than on the aerator

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I don't trust chinese food.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1) I don't trust food from Walmart. 1) Bit of grease on the threads often helps.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon