fair charge to install deadbolt?

Hello,

I want to install a deadbolt at a temp location (with owner's permission) but I don't have my tools with me. What would you folks consider a fair charge for the local competent handyman to install one?

Thanks!

Reply to
John H

Does that include drilling and morticing the door and jamb (strikeplate)? (some doors are already cut) Presumably, the lock has already been purchased?

Reply to
Don Y

| I want to install a deadbolt at a temp location (with owner's permission) | but I don't have my tools with me. What would you folks consider a fair | charge for the local competent handyman to install one? |

Not nearly enough information. You might call a neighbor to screw in a $3 deadbolt you provide, and maybe he'd do it for free. Maybe a few dollars. Maybe in exchange for lunch. That deadbolt, presumably, would only serve to let you know whether someone broke in, not to stop them.

If it were me I'd say likely about $300, depending on how inconvenient it was for me. Do I have to go to the store, drive 15 miles, do a good job at short notice... probably at least $300. Would you like some steel reinforcing plates, so that there's a hope the deadbolt might actually serve its purpose? More for that.

I don't overcharge, but I'm not a handyman. I'm a contractor. I don't know of any handyman types anymore. It's just not economically feasible to drive around doing piddling jobs for token fees. It's costing me a day, logistically, to do the job -- assuming no complications -- so I have to charge for that.

Due to those logistics I typically do small jobs for regular customers free, but charge full otherwise. I don't want to charge some token amount like $30 because then the customer will expect any small job to cost only $30. I spent that much in labor just buying the lock. So I'd rather not charge them at all than to charge a misleadingly small fee.

It's a funny situation. People think it's outrageous to pay me $100 to change a lightbulb. I don't blame them. But I took their phone call, planned, packed up tools, drove to their house to check the bulb, drove to the store, back to their house.... $100 is a bargain.

The same people don't blink to spend $100,000 for a new kitchen, but I'm actually charging less for my time with the bulb replacement. To avoid hassles for me and resentment from customers, I encourage them to save a "punch list" and call me periodically. I have a number of customers who do that. They call maybe once per year with a few days worth of work. I'd suggest you do the same if it's feasible for you. (And the second important point: Find and cultivate a good, honest contractor. If you don't have any loyalty to the handyman you seek, only caring about how much you'll have to pay him, then he won't have any loyalty to you and you'll be in the same boat next time you need a job done.)

Reply to
Mayayana

+1

Installing could mean putting in a replacement one to installing one for the first time. Big difference.

Reply to
trader_4

If you buy one from a lock smith, price may include installation or he'll give discounted rate.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Off the cuff quote, $50 per hour for your time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon