Ancient CFL

I had a yellow CFL in use as a porch light for centuries now. It finally died yesterday and I replaced it today. Strange looking thing - looks like a regular incandescent bulb but with the sides fallened instead of globular and you can see the coiled tube inside. No name on it. It's been running

24/7 for, I'll bet, about 10 or more years?. Only off when the power failed. First CFL I own that has died.

Any CFL museums?

Reply to
KenK

I've had many die. Worst place to put them is in the bathroom or anyplace where light may be turned on and off for just a few minutes. For me in bathroom they last not much longer than incandescents and I try not to use them there.

BTW when a CFL dies you have to report it to the EPA and use their disposal instructions.

Reply to
Frank

I think being on all the time makes them last longer. I have some on (relay) motion detectors that crap out about as fast as 130v incandescently.

Reply to
gfretwell

They just go in the trash here

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

In my bathroom, I have a string of yellow LED holiday lights. They're always on and that's usually enough light.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

He may be able to get a notarized CF-01756 form from the CFL museum, transfer of CFL device to registered museum and all. Save the $275 disposal fee.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon