Lightbulb Filament Replacement

Since in a few years incandescent bulbs will become banned, I wonder if anyone will come out with a filament replacement kit for people who want to continue using the old incandescent bulbs? It's just a small piece of tungstun wire, it's just attaching it and removing all the air in the bulb.

Reply to
jw

The upcoming incandescent ban has a wide range of exemptions. I see little need to repair burnt-out lightbulbs with tungsten wire replacement (which requires lack of oxygen in the bulb).

I mention many exceptions as in I like to think loopholes that the Mississippi River can be rerouted through, in:

Don Klipstein

Does that mean I can't use my large based 1500 watt bulb I have, about 8 " in dia. & 12" tall ???

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

I also have a 500 & 1000 watt bulb from an old foundry, great in the winter.As long as you don't look into them. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

It's not a vacuum, I do believe there is an inert gas in the bulb. I suppose a market for a bulb that can be rebuilt may develop. The TV picture tube was an item that was available as a rebuilt replacement for a number of years. I used to change them out all the time back in the last century. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Why bother considering this when lighting that consumes 75-80% less energy, that lasts longer, is readily avalaible. Incandesants are outdated. I only use them in the frige, oven and a few other locations.

Reply to
ransley

What's going to happen to the light bulb that appears above your head when you have an idea? 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's not a light, it's a heater. A controlled short circuit is not an efficient way to do anything.

Reply to
LSMFT

How inconsiderate. Not considering the feelings of all the Tea Party conservatives that long to keep their 100W incandescents.

Jeff

I only use them in the frige, oven and a few other

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Correct. 11, 100w incandesants are equal to running a 1000 watt electric heater, Incandesants only put out 4-6% of energy consumed as light you can see, the rest is heat. They should be junked for the most part, they have limited use, there are better options for most needs. Now if you have free electric or subsidised cheap electric and need a cheap source of heat, then they make sense.

Reply to
ransley

its a cfl,

Reply to
ransley

Unless the light is going out the window, the energy from that is dissipated as heat as well.

Jeff

Incandesants only put out 4-6% of energy consumed as

Reply to
Jeff Thies

It takes a long time to reach full brightness, isn't very bright when it does, it casts a sickly glow over things, and you get mercury in your hair if it breaks? ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Some light bulbs do have a vacuum, including most 120V ones 15 watts and less, as well as 120V tubular showcase/refrigerator lamps up to 40 watts, and many others with design current near or under .2 amp.

If the filament is thinner, then the temperature gradient in the gas around the filament is greater, and heat conduction loss by the gas per unit filament area is greater. At some point, it gets better to use a vacuum and run the filament at a lower temperature than it is to use the usual argon-nitrogen mixture. At some further point of decreasing filament diameter, it gets better to use a vacuum than it is to use even premium fill gases such as krypton or xenon.

Incandescents with a vacuum tend to have yellower light and cooler surfaces than gas filled ones of similar wattage.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Yeah, we have the heating on for 7 months of the year here, and half of that is electric baseboard anyway - I don't mind the fact that they're kicking out some heat during those months (although admittedly it's not particularly useful heat up at ceiling height)

I've really gone off CFLs in recent times. It's not just the color temperature or marketing-driven longevity and output claims, but the complexity, amounts of circuitry and plastic used, the lack of servicability (you can't just swap out the part that's actually failed, but have to ditch the whole thing) - none of that seems very 'green'. Not to mention that they're all made in far-flung lands and have to be shipped halfway around the world (but that's probably true of a lot of incandescents, too).

I'm going to hang on to my incandescents for as long as I can, I think - at least until LED technology is a viable option (and it seems to be getting better all the time).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The way I read this is that the filament's heat losses are all radiative in the vacuum case. The reason it runs at a lower temperature is because it is longer, otherwise it should be hotter for the same power out as it's not dissipating heat as fast.

What did I get wrong?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Standard light bulbs are not a vacuum, they are filled with argon.

Reply to
gfretwell

Will you replace the filaments in your fridge bulb, oven bulb, and other locations bulbs?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd expect Pres. Obama to appoint a czar to tell us how many bright ideas we can have.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Read some reviews of cfls, Consumer Reports just updated theirs and HDs cfls are tops again, and cheapest , and best warranty.

Reply to
ransley