Extra holes on electrical box, why?

I replaced an old outdoor outlet cover yesterday. It was one of those with hinged covers that snap down over each outlet, but the gasket was long gone and water and bugs were getting in. Also Christmas lights get plugged in there and it's not "safe in use." And yes, everything inside was corroded and stuck. So of course it got a new outlet as well as a new in use cover.

The box (integral with lamp post) had screw holes that matched the distance of the outlet. And there was another set about 1/4 inch outside each of those. (outside meaning the distance between the other holes was about 1/2 inch greater than the distance between the normal holes.)

What is the purpose of those? Are there devices that need that distance?

I was glad they were there. As corroded as everything was, the screws broke off in the regular holes, but the outside holes could be used to secure the outlet. I also found myself wishing I hadn't been too cheap to buy an ECX screwdriver. That would have given me a much better grip.

Also if anyone has a recommendation for a higher quality "in-use" cover that would be nice. The big box ones work but they are embarassingly cheap.

Reply to
TimR