Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?

In those cases, you "expect" it to work. In cases of miscut or bent tubing, it's just a Hail Mary pass. I think actually that a lot of failures come from the cutting process, and that is crushing or malformation of the tube that comes from trying to cut it too fast.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

legroups.com...

They are pretty handy for joining different types of plumbing. I used a couple to connect cpvc to pex. I don't see any advantage to them for cpvc or pvc as both are easily glued. I'm guessing the big sale point is for people with copper pipe that can't solder. Or just get tired of trying to get all the water out so they can solder.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

oglegroups.com...

...or need to work in very tight spaces like a joist bay-rim joist area. BTDT

...or need to work near combustible materials.

...or are just in a hurry. BTDT

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nothing. Especially an item that was built to work on straight tubing that is used on "relatively" straight tubing. You would have done better with a compression fitting that crushes the "relative" out of there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Impossible to take apart due to your faulty installation or impossible to take apart because you don't know how to take them apart?

They come apart just about as easily as they go together by simply pressing in on the plastic ring. You can do it with any number of tools/items you have lying around the house or you can buy either one of the removal tools shown here:

The Removal Clip was about $3 at HD last time I looked.

reply: If one cannot remove a SharkBite fitting, they need to turn in their tool apron.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@o4g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

...or need to work in very tight spaces like a joist bay-rim joist area. BTDT

...or need to work near combustible materials.

...or are just in a hurry. BTDT

reply: That was my situation when I went to HD and was buying "stuff" to fix a burst pipe. The SB changed a three hour job into a fifteen minute one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

ups.com...

re: "The SB changed a three hour job into a fifteen minute one."

I turned off the water, cut a pipe, installed a Shark Bite cap and turned the water back on - all before the TV commercial was over.

Cleanup was pretty easy too: I dropped my pipe cutter back into the drawer and threw the little plastic bag away.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I was under the impression that lead poisoning had a lot to do with scrambling the brains of the leadership. If the leadership has gone full goose bozo, how could they lead the army? 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I came home from installing 5 of them for the first time ever the day this thread started. Due to the fact they were in the middle of CPVC project they were not ready for a pressure test until Saturday. I was too lazy to work over the weekend. Today, Monday, 11-29, I pressurized the system no leaks in any of my glue joints or the sharkbites.

I used them to connect to the short runs of iron pipe inside the walls to the CPVC and to connect a frost free wall spigot so all of mine are IPS threads on one side and sharkbites on the other. They are also in the crawl space so minor leak will create minimal problems. No matter how bad they may turn out to be over time, I am utterly convinced they are a better choice then a cpvc/ips adaptor. Time will determine that. :)

I must admit that I have some minor concerns about the length of time they will last, but after extensive reading both here and via Google links I am not overly concerned. We have one failure mentioned in this thread. That was installed on a slightly curved pipe. Most of the problems mentioned other places involved PVC, poly, or another pipe. Sharkbites are not certified for use on any of those, so if you use them there you might expect a failure. They are certified for CPVC, copper and PEX only.

One last point. They are somewhat new in the US but I read somewhere that the actual system has close to 15 years of service behind it before its US introduction.

Reply to
Colbyt

concern - or scratching the pipe badly enough to compromise the O-ring seal. Cash Acme wants to sell you their nifty little deburring tool.

The really, really neat thing about O-rings is that small scratches just don't seem to make any difference. If there is an excessive gap under higher pressures the o-ring might be extruded into the gap.

But, yeah, a cut (not a scratch) in the o-ring may well make it leak.

John Gilmer