quick-connect water fittings / how to square cut tube

I question whether these things will work, but...

My under counter water filter system has quick connect fittings for the 3/8" tube. They're leaking, and the support line says that they just must not be cut square.

37 cuts later....

Any suggestion on ensuring a square cut?! I don't understand how these can form water-tight seals, but they say they do. Thanks.

Reply to
albee

I never liked those quick connect fittings that come with the filter. Buy a couple of the steel braided hoses. They come in various sizes.

Reply to
Mikepier

Could you explain how I hook them up to the filter? The problem is at the connector on the filter. I called HD, and they didn't know of a tool to make a precision cut (save for a circular saw?!) I pointed out I needed a razor-type cut in plastic hose, but she maintained that with the right blade you could do it. no matter, as I don't have one... Any other thoughts?

Reply to
albee

Well, in reading the instructions online for some other product that uses quick connects, it mentioned pushing them in harder. That helped, and it even appeared that it was fixed, but god-forbid there should be any torque on the very thick plastic hoses! As soon as I move the filters it gushes. Baffles me how it maintains a seal so well when in a perfect positiion even. But regardless, still not something I'm comfortable leaving under a sink, not knowing if it's leaking or not. Who designed this shit?! They say the weakness in compression fittings is movement... did they think this was an improvement? And of course I bought this thing awhile ago and wouldn't be able to return it now. But then, they're all probably using these. argghhh...

Or what am I missing?!

Reply to
albee

Have you tried a small tubing cutter? The ones with a a small cutter wheel that is fed into the tubing by means of a screw? Pretty common item at most hardware stores and tey always cut square. Some lube is helpful inserting into the fitting, even a dab of water. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe