Error of % + digits?

Strange folk. As long as it looks neat it's fine. You may notice I always put two spaces between sentences. It makes it clearer, but I never pick people up on not doing it.

Is that just because it doesn't like the tab character? Or does the number of spaces change the meaning of the code?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Way back aroung 55 years ago I took a semester of typing in school using the old manual typewriters. We were told to put two spaces after the period when typing. That has carried over with me all this time. I think on the computers we are only suppose to use one space, but I am not sure.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It was 58 years ago for me but same rule. Not sure what they teach now but I often here is one space. I think the wider space looks better and is easier to follow with the eye.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is no sposed to, you are free to do what you like.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"With the introduction of the typewriter in the late 19th century, typists used two spaces between sentences to mimic the style used by traditional typesetters."

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I am still getting acclimated to a smart phone but I've noticed at least in Slack if I enter two spaces it automatically changed the first to a period.

I also understand how cofefe happened.

Reply to
rbowman

It's a waste of a byte, or two bytes for some encodings. A byte here, a byte there and pretty soon you need a 10 TB drive.

Reply to
rbowman

My comment was about computers.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I remove them when I find them in a document!

Reply to
Bob Eager

You get hell because you are a hairy legged haggis gorging cross dresser.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That was in the days of mono-spaced text from typewriters. With proportional spacing the 'software' is supposed to give you that extra space after full-stops.

I'm afraid I'm a bit random about double or single spaces after full-stops even though I use a fixed width typeface for these messages.

Reply to
Chris Green

3 'counts' in the least significant digit.

Say it reads: 1.000

If we simply add the errors (for simplicity)*

The % error gives between: 0.981 and 1.019 (-0.019 & +0.019)

Then 3 counts "out" in the LSD: 0.978 and 1.022 (-0.003 & +0.003)

*Adding the errors is simple but possibly pessimistic. It tends to give a worst case answer. If the errors are orthogonal, you can square the contribution, add then, then square root the answer. This will give a 'tighter' bound.

Sqroot((.019)^2+(0.003)^))= 0.019235 = 0.019 (3dp)

Giving between : 0.981 and 1.019 in this case.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Do you save them to use later? At least recycle them?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And an odd person.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Do you live in the middle of nowhere or something? No burglars?!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Just a small village in Suffolk, probably not much useful to steal either. Our TV (while digital and flat screen) is pretty old, our laptops are not state of the art. The cars might be nickable but they have immobilisers of course, we don't lock them either. Etc., etc.

Reply to
Chris Green

The only reason I lock things up is for proof of burglar for the insurance. There is so many windows and doors with glass in my house it would not take much of anything to get in. I am out in the country and not too much around so would be easy pickings.

I even have simple pad locks on my two small out buildings for the same reason.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Exactly! Locking is totally pointless from a security point of view and only means you get damage as well as things stolen if the burglar has to break some glass to get in.

It's one of the reasons we don't lock the cars, far less likely to get the windows smashed.

Our garages are actually locked most nights but only because it happens by default with remote control up-and-over doors.

Reply to
Chris Green

Isn't it best to know the absolute worst? When I take a reading, I want to know how high or low it could possibly be. Somebody with your attitude decided it was ok to make double 13A sockets that only take 20 amps total.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But rating twin sockets at a total of 20 amps is only an extension of not rating a ring (or other) circuit at the total possible load if 13 amps was drawn at every socket.

Reply to
Chris Green