Error of % + digits?

No, it was the 'other side' that 'proved' that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why did you put other side in apostrophes?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Are the OCD the ones that do not like 'hot water heater' ?

Most homes need to heat the water to make hot water. I bet in some parts of the world you need to heat the cold water so it will not freeze and turn to ice. Then you would have a cold water heater.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Why would I want to? :-) I've been quite successful in many ways, I was a good software engineer, I have a happy home with lovely children and a loving wife. The OCD[ishness] is quite fun in a way.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yeah ok rainman.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They don't like anything, they concentrate on trivia and need to grow up.

Indeed, the word "hot" is being specific.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

...and you tend not to leave your house unlocked or lock yourself out.

(You might have to drive home when you realise you touched the door handle with your right hand but not your left hand too.)

Reply to
Max Demian

I saw a very amusing article about OCD folk going crazy with the virus. Instead of washing their hands 3 times an hour, it's now 50 times an hour, so no free time, and no skin left.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We never lock the house.

No, I don't think I follow that one! :-)

While I am somewhat pedantic about the use of language etc. (which, in a different context, helped with my Software Engineering career) I am rather more careless/carefree about everyday life. The only place where my OCD[ish] self shows much is in a moderately well organised garage and study.

Reply to
Chris Green

WTF?

Are you as bad as James May with spanners?

Commander Kinsey

That's because you don't actually have OCD, which is quite a nasty condition. Someone who does have it would find themself doing stuff like that.

Just a bit fussy. I'm the same!

Reply to
Bob Eager

They call anything a condition nowadays. Basically they're just stupid. Same goes for "dyslexia".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
[snip]

I heard somewhere that with OCD its usually an odd number.

Reply to
Sam E

Nope, real OCDs arent just stupid.

Real stupids are hardly ever OCDs. In spades with the worst of the nit pickers about the use of particular words.

Nope, its quite different again, particularly the weird way they use they can use the exact opposite of the word they intended to use like with cars, saying Mercedes when they mean Renault etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Is that difficult to understand? While I think we have locked the house up a couple of times in the twenty years or more that we have lived here I don't think we have ever locked up in the last ten or even fifteen years.

Hmm? My garage isn't that clean! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

A touch of OCD helps in software.

Reply to
rbowman

My care with language and the handling of logic is a bit pedantic. However what passes for my study looks like a rat midden. You have to know what's important and what isn't.

Gods, I really should clean this mess up. Maybe tomorrow. If it snows.

Reply to
rbowman

I'd call that precision. OCD is when you obsess over the unimportant.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There's a crossover when you restructure working code because it looks sloppy. If you want to start a fight with coders as if there is a space between 'if' and the paren, whether the curly bracket goes on the same line as the conditional, and how many spaces should be used for indentation.

Python is the ultimate OCD language. Spaces matter. Even though it may look the same in an editor if one line has a tab that displays as four spaces and the next actually has four spaces it isn't going to run.

Reply to
rbowman

Its more complicated than that, real OCD is about obsessive little rituals, not obsessing of the unimportant.

Rod Speed