Error of % + digits?

I just bought an amp clamp meter, and it states the error is "+/- 1.9% + 3 digits". What does the "3 digits" part mean?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, I paid 30 quid as I needed one with DC current. The fiver ones only do AC.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I luckily noticed it in the descriptions, I checked carefully due to my electric company's watt meter only doing AC, which I had tried to use to check for current in my car wiring and it read zero when I knew it wasn't. They say "AC/DC clamp meter for voltage and current" in the title, but in the description the combination of AC and amps is missing. I'm guessing they use a cheaper sensor. Mine says it uses the hall effect. The cheap ones are presumably just using half a transformer so need AC.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Answering my own question, I found this page, it means aswell as the percentage error, the last digit (eg the 2 in 147.2V) can vary by 3.:

Commander Kinsey

I would expect +/- 3 times the resolution of the least significant digit, as in a reading of 180 could be mean an actual value as low as

177 or as high as 183.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It means that its less accurate at low readings.

Assume that you are on the range 0.00 to 1.99Amps

If what you are measuring on that range was 0.10 Amps the error would be dominated by the +/- 3 digits (the 1.9% error is insignificant). The error would be +/-0.03 Amps or an uncertainty in the reading of +/-30%.

If however you are measuring 1.50Amp on that range the error would still be the +/- 0.03 Amps (the +/- 3 digits) plus +/-1.9% of the actual reading which is another +/- 0.03 Amps (rounded up). So 1.50 Amps +/-

0.06 Amps or an uncertainty of 4%

This is why if you clamp meter has more than one range you need to select the range the closest to what you are measuring without it going overrange.

How many digits does the display have and how many, and what are the ranges that you can select.

Reply to
alan_m

What's this "DC current" of which you speak? :-)

(just DC is sufficient)

Reply to
Chris Green

I hadn't thought of it like that, and was thinking about 3 seperate digits, as in 1s, 10s, 100s, which didn't make sense.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah that makes sense. As for the ranges, it has two ranges, but it actually quotes three lots of error margins. I think perhaps one of the ranges auto-ranges within it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, because you can get a meter which has a setting for DC volts. You would list the settings as: DC Volts DC Amps AC Volts AC Amps It wouldn't be marked as D Amps. And if it was marked as DC, is it measuring current or volts?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Read Scroggie! He used ZF rather than DC, much more explicit.

However what's wrong with DV, DC, AV and AC ?

Reply to
Chris Green

I've never seen those, but I have seen DCV and ACV. Historical I guess. I would also expect to hear "my house is supplied with AC voltage" not "my house is supplied with alternating voltage".

Anyway, unless you have OCD, it's quite clear what DC volts is.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Surely what one actually says is "my house supply is AC"

:-) I am, I'm afraid, a bit OCD.

Reply to
Chris Green

According to Westinghouse, DC stood for Direct to Cemetery

Reply to
Bob Eager

Surely not... didn't they prove that AC was responsible for fatalities - by killing an elephant?

Reply to
alan_m

That is ridiculous I was using hall effect sensors for autostops in cassette decks to replace reed switches in the 1980s, surely they are cheap as chips, indeed they are chips!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Brian Gaff (Sofa) snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

But not necessarily that cheap with the accuracy you need for a meter.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Maybe, I've never said or heard it, since they all are. But I might say "there's an AC voltage present on this terminal". I certainly wouldn't say "an A voltage", or even an "alternating voltage". In fact if I heard "alternating voltage", I'd think it meant one that was varying due to a fault.

Can't you get that fixed? It's all in the mind anyway, just stop doing it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Maybe getting an accurate reading off a hall effect sensor is more expensive? You were presumably just checking for the presence of something. The meter has to give a figure from 0.1 to 600 amps.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's as silly as you stopping being a psychopath, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed