Emergency tire repoir

I've decided to stop posting copies of car-related posts to rec.autos... Maybe another car group is active but when I actually looked at the group, I noticed I was the only one posting there.

The night before I was to go to florida and then guatemala, in the rain, in the dark, I drove over a little island between my lane and the oncoming traffic (but on a curve so it stuck out into where one drives). Flat tire, left front, I changed myself, even though I ran out of breath

5 times.

Then went to Home Depot and returned home. Somehow, the next day my left *rear* tire was flat, and pumping it up didn't work. How did it work the night before?

But my plane was leaving, and the HOA threatens to tow away cars with flats!

I put the HOA on hold, and learned that when you have a flat, tire stores will be glad to sell you a tire and even put it on, if you bring the car to them. Gas stations will be glad to fix it, if you bring it to them. But you pretty-much can't drive your car with a flat! Tow trucks will be glad to tow your whole car someplace, but there aren't many, I learned, who will come to your car and fix it there. I only found one that day but he was only 5 miles away. (The ones I found later were 30 miles away and two that gave no address.) He came out within 2 hours, and did a very good job.

The key word to search ion is not emergency or roadside. It is MOBILE. I had to call a friend to be told what the word is.

This review by someone else is interesting, what it says about sensors: Marcos gave us EXCEPTIONAL service by promptly repairing my flat tire. He showed me I didn’t need a new tire but only a sensor to replace current one that was leaking. THEN he went WAY above and beyond by showing how he could repair the constant “tire low pressure” light that has been on for 18 months. The dealer - where it was serviced - claimed the repair required three new sensors for $800+ . [3? why not 4?] Marcos showed the problem was much simpler and repaired for under $100. I’m very particular about service and meticulous in auto maintenance. Ben’s Tire Service and Marcos in particular are now on top of my list for quality, professionalism, responsiveness and cost.

Reply to
micky

AAA came out and put my spare on. The guy nearly killed himself getting the rusty old thing out from under the vehicle.

Of course, that's not free, and you're a cheapskate.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

" Keep yer stick on the ice. " John T.

Reply to
hubops

I've been towed 4 times in the last 45 years. By no means is it worth paying AAA for over 10 years just to get towed once. I used to carry the business card of a local tower. Now I rely on the smartphone.

Reply to
micky

I am not a cheapskate. You are lack empathy.

I have severe spinal damage.

Due to people who have rear ended me 4 times.

I have much pain 24 hrs per day.

I had to ask someone to to change my tire.

Andy

Reply to
AK