Electrical Question Re Liquid-Tape Product

Hello,

Regarding the Gardner-Bender Liquid Tape Product.

Have a connection (117 V) in a house Service Box that is presently taped, but quite hard to get to. Would like to add a bit more insulation to it.

Anyone ever use this Liquid Tape product ?

I would imagine that 3M has a comparable product ? If so, "better"?

Anyway, their site is very sparse re any good technical info. for it.

Can it be used over electrical tape, or will it disolve or otherwise harm the tape ? The tape's adhesive, e.g. ?

The reason I'm concerned is that they apparently use a Hexane solvent in it, and this is a pretty potent solvent, I would think ?

Or, is it just used for Non-taped joints ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Twayne

Liquid tape works just fine. There is no point in using it over the tape, though, because you're just sealing the tape, not the electrical joint.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Hexane is a very benign solvent, so your only concern is keeping the vapors away from a combustion source. Recall from your basic chemistry class: methane, one carbon atom; ethane, two carbons; propane, three carbons in a row; butane, four carbons in a row; pentane, five carbons in row; hexane, six carbons in a row. That was easy, wasn't it? There are isomers that we could discuss later..

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I gotta ask - There is a connection in your service box that is simply taped? To me, wire nuts look out of place in a professionally done service box, much less a taped joint. On top of that, it is in a hard place to get to?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Joe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q40g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

In the Carolinas, first person form of I'm a customer.

Reply to
Red Green

If at all possible, wire connections should be wire nut, and then electrical taped. The wire nut has a metal spiral inside, which helps with the electrical connection in addition to helping hold the ends of the wires together. I've never used that liquid tape stuff.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It's good for insulating terminal blocks to prevent accidental contact. Works reasonably well to seal connections too - like wire-nuts. slop a bit in the backside of the wire-nut and it keeps moisture out. Or on a crimp connector (if you ever "need" to use one - stranded wire only)

Reply to
clare