Preserving electrical tape?

Seems like every time I need some electical tape the roll is dried out and won't stick. I use it rarely - perhaps only once a year - so I can't really blame it - even though it's name brand - 3M.

Anyone know how to make it last longer? I keep it in a closed plastic box. Perhaps the refrigerator, which works for batteries? I hate to keep buying new rolls of electric or soft rubber tapes just for one use.

Ideas? Tips?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Never been a problem here--I just throw it in the drawer in the shop (unheated, SW KS so is both +100/-10F) and it's as good as new for years afaict....

There's friction tape out there that's perfectly usable that must be 30 yr old. Masking tape/duct tape/etc., otoh don't last any time at all comparatively buty I've never seen a problem at all w/ electrical tape. If that were a problem, one wouldn't think it would last in use, either...

Reply to
dpb

Same here, I never had a problem with the 3M brand of electrical tape. When I was working I may use several rolls in a week and also have a roll on my tool belt that may stay on for several months or more before I use all of it. Some gets put in my tool box for several years at a time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

dpb wrote in news:kin1rc$cis$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Odd. With me it's the opposite; the duct and masking tape last for years.

Perhaps it's my climate - desert far southwest. Very hot in summer, very dry when the summer monsoons are not entertaining us.

Reply to
KenK

I haul mine around in pickup service panels in Nebraska. Temperatures range from below zero to above 100 F. No real problems that I've noticed. I don't know about the longevity since I really don't pay attention. We tend to use a lot of tape each spring time but not much the rest of the year. It's the Scotch Super 33+ if that matters.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That's step one. Step 2 is get Scotch 33. I just found a roll that I've had in the garage since 1985-- still good and stretchy- even at 10degrees F. [and it doesn't melt at 120.]

It was with an old lineman's phone that I'd taped up with Scotch 33 in

1975-- the tape on that was still good.

Both of the above were in my garage-- no heat or air conditioning- high humidity- -20F to 120F. Good tape doesn't mind.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Well, this isn't desert but it's certainly dry out on the high plains and 100+F isn't at all uncommon nor humidities in the single digits...

Masking tape dries out and duct tape adhesive gets gummy--then again, it may be years old, too; I don't time it and use very little, routinely so it's always of indeterminate age when pick up a roll...

Reply to
dpb

I've never had a problem. HOWEVER, if I did, I'd put it in one of those sealed baggies and stick it in the regular part of the refrigerator.... along with medications , PVC pipe cement, and opened tubes of superglue....

But then, I'm just really cautious, and have room in the fridge.....

Reply to
Robert

What did 3M say when you asked?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I just noticed being the OP and something else caught my eye didn't really think about too much first time--the plastic box you keep it in--what is it? Wonder if there's any chance it's outgassing something that's causing an interaction or something? I just toss it in the drawer in the tool cabinet in the shop...

I certainly wouldn't go so far as the 'fridge but couldn't hurt to just bring it into the house and put it in a drawer there somewhere...and see if makes any difference.

As for brands, I've both name and generic Ace-branded and really don't see any difference--couldn't distinguish between rolls other than by the printing if there is any or the mill thickness of the 3M 88 try to keep a roll handy for the times when mandatory to deal w/ something during cold winter weather when regular isn't so easy to work with (this would take something like losing the heater to one of the waterers in the feedlot or somesuch; I don't do anything out in the cold any longer that I can possibly avoid :) ).

Reply to
dpb

I live in the SW and any masking tape left in the garage gets very dry after a year or so. Not so much for duct tape. Electric tape rolls I've had out there for years and they still seem fine.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

There are al LEAST 3 different kinds of "electrical tape" some a whole lot better than others. There is vinyl tape made with TCP, and without. The TCP stuff is crap. Then there is PVC tape, and rubber tape, and "elastomer" tape. Then there is silicone, self fusing silicone rubber, and polyester tape,

Some of it is useless when cold. Needs to have good stretch, and good adhesive that does not deteriorate and get all slippey-slidey.

Reply to
clare

dpb wrote in news:kinig9$ubm$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

It's a round box/package/container that originally held 3M 88 so it should be ok.

Reply to
KenK

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:kinel2$ioq$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I didn't ask. I've not had very good luck getting questions answered by manufacturers. Ten years ago, yes, but not any more.

Reply to
KenK

never heard tell of such a deal. I use nothing but 3m tape and some of my rolls (different colors) are years old. No problem with them.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Are you sure it is 3M? If it was maybe it is some lower quality made for big box versions. I have pulled old rolls Scotch 33 or 88 tape out of the drawer and they were good as new. I have also simply unwrapped connections that were covered with quality tape unlike that big box stuff that hardens.

George

He might have some 3M that is not the Scotch 33 or 88. The plant I worked at used a lot of electrical tape. To reduce costs they bought some other 3M tape that was not ver good compaired to the 33. After we used all of it, and threw some of it away, they went back to the 33. I think it was called something like Highland, but did not see that listed as an electrical tape any more.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have definitely had electrical tape dry out or get all gooey on the roll. When it dries out it's still stuck to itself on the roll, but once you try to use it, it will never stick to anything again.

Worse is when the adhesive gets gooey and you get black crap all over your fingers.

Ever have a roll of electrical tape turn itself into a cone? You can compress it back into a flat roll with some weight, but it will eventually turn back into a cone once the weight is removed. Really strange.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

IME it always delaminates a little bit, and I've been using the good 3M stuff as well. Whenever I have the option of using heat shrink, I do... I only reserve electrical tape for where using heat shrink is impossible.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Some tapes are just wound too tightly.

.

Ever have a roll of electrical tape turn itself into a cone? You can compress it back into a flat roll with some weight, but it will eventually turn back into a cone once the weight is removed. Really strange.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon