Electrical bulk connector - WHO repairs them ????

I set up my spa the other day and it worked fine when I added chems. It is only 5 years old - this is the 5th year. Came back about an hour later and it was NOT working. Hit reset button on the GFCI and still did not work.

I took the panel cover off and found that the BLACK BOX - brain of this unit - has a PLUG IN connector for LINE IN, another for LINE OUT to the motor, a bulk connector for all the other circuits and a final one for TEMP and LIMIT control.

UNSNAP all 4 and the black box can be quickly removed or replaced.

I found the white plastic on the LINE IN and LINE OUT to be burned black. This is a 110V unit.

The motor is 1.5 HP so I guess in 4+ years it had a lot of electricity to burn the plastic connectors.

I will call Monday to see if the BLACK BOX can be rebuilt as my instructions say.

BOTH the BULK connectors for the LINE IN and LINE OUT with little round pins in the holes have to be replaced on the black box.

I am sure it does not have to be rebuilt.

I don't want to start making "adapters" with VACO SPADE CONNECTORS to bypass the existing BULLET connectors on the black box. .

The 110V line cable with built in GFCI has to have the NEW ROUND PINS crimped onto the black, white and ground wires and then inserted into a NEW PLASTIC BULK OR QUICK CONNECTOR so that it can SNAP INTO the same type of connector on the black box.

This type of connector is frequently found on cars for ELECTRICAL connections.

Since I am not in the trades, I don't really have need of the special crimper to do this job. Even then I would need the PLASTIC bulk connector molded for this use.

MY QUESTION IS : What kind of tradesperson might have these types of connectors and could crimp these kinds of ends onto the wire if need be ???

These connectors might be called BULLET connectors (?) - about 3/4 inch long and about 1/8 thick and then push into a plastic bulk connector.

TIA

Reply to
Conase

They're probably standard Molex type connectors, and many contractors/appliance repair people might have them. Do a Google search and see if you can locate the Molex distributor in your area. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

BTW, the use of ALL CAPS is annoying to me, and probably a bunch of others as well. It makes it even more difficult, instead of easier, to understand what you are saying. Just my opinion...

Jake

Reply to
Jake

An electrician that does some commercial/industrial work. That sort of connector is used for big motors and such.

They may be able to replace the connector with higher quality, or heavier, so it doesn't generate the heat in the first place. A bad or loose connection will cause enough resistance to act like a toaster coil.

Reply to
John Hines

OP responding :

I called the maker of the BRAIN for the spa. They made it sound like it will be a warranty repair even after 4 years.

Apparently I would not have to worry since the BRAIN comes with matching cable with built in GFCI. So I would not have to worry about the Molex connectors. They must have known there were problems with the original setup. Supposedly would cost from $200 - 400 for this brain + cable = OUTRAGEOUS since they tell me I am lucky to have gotten 4 years use and to expect this problem every 3 to 4 years or so.

I'll pay to fix once and they bye bye.

Installation is another $75 but it is a piece of cake with bulk connectors on the brain.

Reply to
Conase