Hot tub flush mounted into deck; where to put snaps for the cover?

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm having my deck rebuilt, and a part of the design brings the deck so that it's just about even with the top of the hot tub. Sort of like this:

Which looks cool, but for one minor issue... where do I put the snaps for the cover?

I've seen several pictures where the owner had screwed the connectors to the floor of the deck, but this has 2 problems: (1) you'll step on it when you're not paying attention, and (2) this can't possibly hold the cover down very tightly, so it's going to take more electricity to keep the water hot.

I thought about building a type of pocket for each connector (say, 2" wide x 4" long x 6" deep), and then cutting a hole in the floor to insert each pocket. This way, the connector would still be mounted vertically, and to unsnap it you would put your hand into the hole and press the connector. But this seems rather complicated, and might be a lot of pointless work if there's already something out there for this application.

Does anyone know of a better solution?

Reply to
Jason

2 minor issues. Can you access the pump, plumbing 7 wiring without draining the tub and raising it out of its 'hole'?

The snaps are easy- you get snaps/locks that attach to your bright and shiny new deck.

All the tubs I've seen have an entrance side-- put the snaps on the other 2 sides. Or find a flush mount.

I'm in NY, have a 10yr old tub & never snap the cover. Last Jan, with temps below zero several nights, daily use, and 101' temp constant in the tub it cost me about $30. [@15cents/kWh]

If the weight of the cover won't make a pretty decent seal- then get a new cover. Snapping is for wind protection and security- to keep little kids from tumbling into your tub.

Get a decent tub. Insulate the perimeter-- not the tub!-- enjoy the darn thing.

Hang out here to learn all the questions you didn't know you were supposed to ask-

Not me-- but I'm betting there is a commercial flush mount. ask on the spa forum.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht