door swings

I just finished some remodeling where a contractor had to install a couple of prehung doors. He apparently didn't install them completely level and plumb because the swing open if they're not closed tight, so you can't leave the doors open a little bit. Is there a way short of ripping the doors out so that the doors will not swing?

Andy

Reply to
apostlew

Why not have the hack fix it. Take out a hing pin and bend it a little.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Reply to
Dave

Recall contractor to hang doors properly, simple task if not screwed up badly. Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Sligo

I have read that you can remove one of the hinge pins, bend it slightly and that will cause enough friction to cause the door not to swing open or closed without help.

Reply to
David Kyle

I had to do that a two doors in my house- it works fine.

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Frankly the contractor needs to fix the error. However he will not want to and will likely just do the bent pin trick that works, sort of. I like it done right, but in real life you don't always get right.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

this is probably because the wall is out of plumb and the door was installed flush to the sheetrock, like every body does. did the contractor build the wall or just install the door?

Reply to
Mike

i agree...there is only so much play in a prehung split jam unit to play with....and gaps between the trim and finished wall that result from trying to "compensate" for an out of plumb wall are worse than a door that likes to swing a bit....(IMHO)

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I would say it is still the contractor's job to get the door right. Even a second rate contractor should know enough under the circumstances to use the bent pin trick to hide the problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

talk about a hack!

Reply to
Chief

If this is a prehung door check the way the hinges are installed into the mortise in both the door and jamb. I have seen these not installed correct from the factory. Need to make sure all hinges are fit into there mortise correctly. Easy fix any way. No reason to take entire door back out.

Reply to
calhoun

Reply to
Bob Bowles

what a bunch of hacks in here. "bend the pin a little" what a crock!

the O.P. PAID someone to install a "new" door and all of you insist on him/her bending the hinge pin. gives a whole new meaning to AHR (Alternate Hack Repair)

TO THE O.P. TRY TAPPING THE JAMB WITH A BLOCK AND HAMMER. if the door is closing by itself tap (whack) the bottom of the jamb.

(until the door is plumb in both directions) then install 1 longer screw in each hinge. (a couple of finish nails may be necessary)

FYI

bending the pin will cause heat build up from friction and will cause black dust to leak out of the jamb in time. (causing a mess on the paint or stain) it is a temporary fix ................but NOT a solution!

Reply to
Chief

Reply to
apostlew