DIY Home Plumbing Preventative Maintenance tip (yes an actual home repair post)

Here is an easy one.

Every 6 months i go around the house and turn all the valves under the sinks and feeding the commodes back and forth about one turn.

This keeps them loose so that when you need to use one, you will be able to move it.

If they sit unused for years, they can be hard to turn when needed and might break when forced too hard.

Also leave them 1/2 turn away from fully open. This also makes it easier to break loose.

mark

Reply to
makolber

1/2 half turn would destroy ALL of my shut-off valves (I use 1/4 turn ball valves) and leaving the valves less than all the way open means the "back seal" or packing cannot properly do it's job of keeping water from seaping around the shaft - which is generally what causes the shut-off to sieze up in the first place.
Reply to
clare

Clearly, the OP is talking about gate valves. Probably wouldn't hurt to actuate the ball valves occasionally, anyway.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Home domestic plumbing techniques are effective as every homeowner can easily follow and apply. It's mandatory to periodically check the leaking faucets, showerheads, drainage, and pipes etc, to check whether it could be a potential plumbing issue. Negligence can cause a big trouble as this can lead to a huge plumbing problem which cannot be solved without professional help.

Jessica Laurent 'Plumber in Milton Keynes,Emergency Plumber Milton Keynes'

jessica222

No, it's not a home repair post, it's pure advertising spam.

Reply to
trader_4

SNIPPED

maybe the reader you are using doesn't show the previous posts of the thread.

my original post on Sept 5 was not spam.

this reply 1 month later from "Jessica" is spam

mark

Reply to
makolber

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry, I confused the original title with the new post.

Reply to
trader_4