Trying to fix kitchen faucet drip - disassembly problems

My kitchen faucet has had the drips when shut off for quite a while. However, it has gradually gotten worse. It's not only annoying but now it's practically a continuous fine stream. That has got to be wasting a lot of water. Googling the problem seemed to indicate that this might be a fairly simple project. So I thought I would give it a try.

I don't know who manufactured the faucet. I can't find any markings on the unit. It is somewhere in the range of 10-15 years old. I purchased it at a now defunct home center store and had it installed.

I'm trying to disassemble it to get at the "valve stem assemble" which is apparently what needs to be replaced. But I'm only able to disassemble it so far and then I'm stuck on what to do next. Here's a picture of the faucet and how far I've gotten.

The second image is not too clear since my digital camera does not take good close up shots. The center part will turn but I don't see how to remove it.

Also, assuming I'm able to disassemble the faucet will I be able to get replacement parts for an unknown brand over a decade old?

Any help on the above problem will be greatly appreciated.

Warren

Reply to
wgd

It looks like it might be a Moen I have had problems getting the cartridges out. A new cartridge come with a little plastic adapter that fits over the cartridge when it is in the state that you have it and lets you put a wrench to it to move the cartridge back and forth to help break it loose. They get stuck because of deposits building up around them. In one very difficult removal I use a slide hammer (AKA dent puller) to break the sucker loose. Once you get it out the Home Depots and Lowes have replacements. There are more than one size so you need to match it up.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I agree it looks like a Moen, and it is very likely that a replacement cartridge is available. In addition to the little plastic gadget, which generally does not work, a "puller" tool is available specifically for Moen cartridges, which works on the principle of a wheel puller. It screws into the center shaft and neatly removes the cartridge, assuming you have followed the directions about removing the retaining clip, etc. which you seem to have done. It may be worth the 25 or so dollars, since the faucet should act like new with the new cartridge.

-=Art=-

Reply to
Arthur

Yes, you're both right. It is a Moen. I dug around in the big lower drawer below my oven where I keep home related documentation on original appliances like my heat pump, etc. I found a brochure which I apparently picked up at the time I was shopping for a new kitchen faucet (late

1991). It shows the then current Moen lineup, including the one in my kitchen.

It is a Moen model 87545 Riser Adjustable Height Kitchen faucet. The brochure indicated a "No Questions Asked Lifetime Limited Warranty" against leaks and drips. So I called the 800 number and they are sending a free replacement cartridge!

I just hope the little plastic gizmo to remove the old cartridge works.

Thanks for the help on this. Warren

Reply to
wgd