Craftsman Garage Door Opener

I have a craftsman garage door opener, my motor is running and dosen't seem to be binding. My chain is not turning nor the sprocket either. I unlock the door and lifted the door up manually and it I lifted it up with no resistance. I was in touch with the dealer because it wasn't going when I need it to so we adjusted it over the phone. Do you think I need service? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
samuel.stewart

Maybe there is some part between the chain and sprocket on the one hand, and the motor on the other, that is broken. An intermediate gear? A gear that is no longer tight to a shaft? A belt?

??

Reply to
mm

You said in your post that you "adjusted it over the phone". Did this fix the problem?

Reply to
edee em

WTF does "adjusted it over the phone" mean?

Your lack of written expressive skill speak volumes about how bad our public education system has become over the last 40 years.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff,

What is really making you so angry to make you act out like you did?

I perfectly understood the expression "adjusted it over the phone". It meant that the customer was walked through the process using a phone.

Maybe "walked" was a poor analogy since no one was literally walking.

Okay, I'll try again: The user received verbal instructions on how to adjust the door opener while communicating with a telephone.

Does that help?

Julie

Don't be too hard on him, Julie. Check out his grammar and then just pity him.....

BTW Jeff, I quoted the orig>> snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Reply to
Edee em

Not really Julie.

Can you state definitively from the OP's words whether he's saying he still HAS a problem or that he HAD a problem which was solved via a phone conversation.

And if it's the latter, why is he asking for advice on whether he needs service?

Since you ask why I'm angry, I'll tell you. It's because I'm disgusted at seeing how our public educational systems are graduating fewer literate students every year and how left wingers (which I suspect may number you in their ranks) are willing to take their side and say "That's OK, as long as think we can understand what you are trying to tell us, we'll accept that."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Sounds like what happened to my Craftsman opener. There are nylon gears in the motor head. My Craftsman opener was 20 years old when I had to change the drive gear out due to wear. I don't know what model you have, but you can probably get the repair kit from the Sears Parts or Repair facilities, where I got mine. My kit contained a drive gear, a worm drive, bushings, E-rings, and other parts to recondition the whole drive, and good illustrated instructions. I only changed the one gear, so I kept the other 18 or so parts. I have the box right here.

65409 41A2817 Drive Gear & Worm Set Contents made in the U.S.A. MFG Code 125512

I paid $22.72 for the kit incl. tax.

Reply to
Willshak

Jeff, your diction, sentence structure as well as grammar leaves much to be desired. You are in no position to cast a shadow upon someone's endeavor of written expression or lack there of.

It's so easy for the common fool to ridicule instead of helping the fellow poster.

Reply to
Rich

number 41A2817 - $21.82

Reply to
Rich

Yep. The exact same part number. $29.32 with the $7.50 shipping charge, tho.

Reply to
Willshak

Compare to Sears.com:

DR/WORM KIT 41A2817 $21.49

Shipping & Handling:$8.99

Tax:$1.50

Total:$31.98

Reply to
Rich

"My chain is not turning nor the sprocket either."

Notice the use of current tense. Thus the problem still exists.

Reply to
yugami

I have the same problem with my craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener. I unlatched it and manually open the door. I have attempted to open and close the door numerous times, but the chain even though it is on the sproket. It only hums loudly, but will not rotate. It seems as the though it's locked up. Any suggestions before I go purchase another unit which costs around $130 and probably about an 1 hour or more to unistall and reinstall a new unit.

Reply to
arm