Correct VIN?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 19:59:24 +0000, Stormin' Norman

It is a good idea. I'm going to start taking pictures when I go out for the day of my house and the street sign nearby.
I couldn't find my car after a Mets game once, and had to wait until almost everyone left to find it. The girl I was with didn't seem to hold it against me, though.
On 09/17/2017 03:15 PM, micky wrote:

Yeah I'm like that too.
Good thing my wife knows where we are 98% of the time
On 09/17/2017 02:59 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Yep.
Would have saved me a major problem once when I memorized where my car was with regard to the door but on return could not find it because a took a /different/ door!
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 17:40:51 -0500, philo

Another time couldn't find the car because I'd parked on the street two blocks from the beach at Coney Island instead of oen block where I was looking.
This is the last really good story, however.
On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 1:41:01 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I've seen worse. Years ago at a company Christmas party at a hotel, a cowo rker found out when it was time to leave that his car was gone. He had th e cops come, when they were done I was going to drive him home. We're wal king out the hotel now and he says to me, there's another side to this hot el? And he had his wife with him too.
. If your house has a VIN number...you might be a redneck. . http://legalbeagle.com/7715816-locate-vin-numbers-mobile-homes.html
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 00:34:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

LOL. Well this isn't about not finding the car, but when I had a dark green car, I would, say, turn the corner onto the block where the car was parked and I never immediately noticed it. I'd have to look for it. And this was after I'd had my car stolen once [and returned], so my stomach would fall into my gut for the seconds it took to find it.
When I got a cream colored car, it was the first thing I saw, even when not trying to see it. And I also hear that other cars are less likely to hit light colored cars. Buying the gold Sebring was a violation of my rule, but at least when the car failed I could melt down the gold fenders. Darn, I forgot to do that.
On 09/18/2017 12:40 AM, micky wrote:

Was to Coney Island a few times but took the subway.
It's been over 40 years since I've driven in NY

Be sure to check the ownership history - a car that has been flipped a few times in recent years is a huge red flag. Here in Ontario Canada - law says that, for private sale, the seller must provide the "used car info" .. but there are tricks that the curb-siders use to con the unwary buyer .. https://www.ontario.ca/page/used-vehicle-information-package ... not to mention what the low-life dealers do ! ps : expect a flood of Flood-Cars in months & years to come ! pps : not all insurance write-offs are all bad - if you are aware of the reasons and get them for the proper price. John T.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:06:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I don't know if this applies to Canada too, but I came across mycarfax.com which is free, and it doesn't give owners names but all the maintenance, and there was a lot of it, was done first at a dealer, then at an auto and tire store, then one time at a car care center that used to be a muffler shop, and then back to the dealer again, where they replaced the crankshaft pully and balancer. That was a month ago. All 4 shops are within 2 or 3 miles of each other.
If this doesn't apply to Canada, and it might, other people might be interested that the free version has far more information than I expected and the piad version, that I got from a dealer on another car, doesn't have much more, though for that one it does say "one owner". (Now that car was a bit newer, a better color, but not as nice and 2.5 times as much money. But either way, that is not the point.)
**It says under Garage "1 of 8 cars". I've only looked up one car, and that is all that they show in "my garage", so that must mean that one can look up 8 cars total before they come to your house and remove your computer.

Yes, I read that 500,000 or 700,000 cars in Houston alone were flooded. The guy who towed me home Sunday told me how a lot of tow truck drivers were headed for Houston, though he had a wife and kid and worked all the time as it is and he wasn't going, and when we passed the rest/restaurant plaza, he pointed out all the trucks for home repairmen which had stopped there. And this is Maryland, pretty far away.
He said they tow them to car carriers and the car carriers take them... I don't know.
On 9/17/2017 5:12 PM, micky wrote:

I just tried it and put my car in. It shows registration and emissions due dates, but no service at all. Only one oil change and tires was not done by the dealer so I guess they do not all participate.
On 18/09/2017 5:14 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a typical stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often hidden under a carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped VIN on, say, a chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it is on the chassis rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must have a matching VIN.
--

Xeno

Xeno wrote:

More than that on a modern vehicle. Half of the modules have the VIN written into memory.
--
Steve W.

On 18/09/2017 6:08 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I'm mainly concerned where they are *stamped* in.
--

Xeno

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 4:30:54 AM UTC-4, Xeno wrote:

.
ke

ke

t I

or even

xt,

nt, so

Didn't they find the VIN number for the truck that McVeigh used on the rear axle a block away? It was either that or maybe a part from the first bombing of the WTC, where they had a VIN number quickly from a part.
On 9/18/2017 12:48 AM, Xeno wrote:

I counted 8 places on my car and there may be more.
I do take minor issue with the term "must have matching VIN" If you know the car was in an accident and the door was replaced from a junk yard, the VIN on the door would be removed or not matched. It can still be a good deal on the car.
On 18/09/2017 10:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The important VIN locations are the plate and the one or two stamped locations. They must all match otherwise the car may have been illegally resurrected. All the others are subject to being replaced during a repair. I'm not in any way disputing your point.
--

Xeno

Correct - but if any one VIN does not match, you KNOW something out of the ordinary has occurred - and if it is listed as "no accidents" you can be pretty sure SOMEONE is lying.
On 9/18/2017 10:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd contact Micky and have him check it out.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Chuckle
--
Tekkie