Correct VIN?

Why would I possibly lie to the people here? You are too suspicious.

I'd write it down because I was born before there was photography and I don't trust them there new-fangled idees.

Or, I'd write it down before I thought to take a picture. Or, I'd write it down because I couldn't read the dash and didn't know it was on the door frame. Like I say, you're too suspicious and you don't hide it by omitting at least the first 5 words, which is insulting.

Well, I was right to be cautious because they're not there.

Reply to
micky

I think it is great, it allows one to delete pictures from your device to free up space and still have the pictures available.

I can't remember if it happens automatically or if you need to first enable the feature on the phone.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

You're older than me? Photography has been around since the early

1800's which predates even me.
Reply to
Stormin' Norman

It is a good idea. I'm going to start taking pictures when I go out for the day of my house and the street sign nearby.

I couldn't find my car after a Mets game once, and had to wait until almost everyone left to find it. The girl I was with didn't seem to hold it against me, though.

Reply to
micky

I guess so.

My pappy was huntin b'ars in Kaintucky then.

At least I was born before cellphone photography.

Reply to
micky

So what, you're in your 40's?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

You would have to make pretty "smart" mistakes. One digit off leaves a

1 in 11 chance the check digit would match 2 digits off reduces the odds considerably.

see

to see how to check the check digit - -

Reply to
clare

It's not that simple. Transposing numbers WILL cause the check digit to fail (most common problem when entering numbers)

30 miles and you are thinking he's not telling the truth?? I had customers coming from 75-95 miles away to have me (or my team) service their vehicles. When I was in Elmira, a gentleman used to bring his '68 Firebird from Toronto for even oil changes and lightbulb replacement because I was the only guy, after having taken it to several Toronto dealers as well as out of town dealers - to be able to make the car run properly for him. When I told him I was leaving the garage where I worked he put an add in the paper to sell it the very next day.... When I was service manager at the dealership in Waterloo I regularly serviced cars from Toronto, London, Woodstock and all over south-western Ontario.A good 10-15% were from more than 30 miles away.
Reply to
clare

Here in Ontario, the seller is required to produce the "sellers kit"

- dealers are not - but you can go to any Service Ontario office or kiosk and request the "sellers information" package - at your own expense - and it will tell you if the vehicle was ever registered out-of-province, and the registration history of the vehicle.

A vehicle written off by insurance can be re-registered with a "salvage" branded title - but if the write-off was out of province and it was repaired before importation, it may not have the "branded" title - but you WILL know it was from out of province - and quite possiblt the last province or state it was registered in.

Reply to
clare

What do you mean by "same repair shop"? Same shop that the seller told you has serviced the car? If that's the case, why would you ever think the VIN number could be wrong? The chances of the same year, same model, same everything of another car with a different VIN being at the same shop is lottery odds.

So that

Reply to
trader_4

The seller has ~ all the advantages, in these situations -

  1. he's a pro rip-off salesman - using your vulnerabilities 2. he knows the laws - fine details 3. he knows ALL the tricks - working your emotions 4. he has done this before - many times

You are an innocent, idiot, gullible rube - but you hold the Trump Card - your cash - protect it. Put all the "unbelieveably-great-deals" out of the picture - sop up your greedy drool - and buy a good car at a fair price .. from a respectable seller. .. or spend about 2 years, driving all over the countryside - test driving and haggling over poor examples of what you want. Just my 2 copper-pennys worth. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I don't know if this applies to Canada too, but I came across mycarfax.com which is free, and it doesn't give owners names but all the maintenance, and there was a lot of it, was done first at a dealer, then at an auto and tire store, then one time at a car care center that used to be a muffler shop, and then back to the dealer again, where they replaced the crankshaft pully and balancer. That was a month ago. All

4 shops are within 2 or 3 miles of each other.

If this doesn't apply to Canada, and it might, other people might be interested that the free version has far more information than I expected and the piad version, that I got from a dealer on another car, doesn't have much more, though for that one it does say "one owner". (Now that car was a bit newer, a better color, but not as nice and 2.5 times as much money. But either way, that is not the point.)

**It says under Garage "1 of 8 cars". I've only looked up one car, and that is all that they show in "my garage", so that must mean that one can look up 8 cars total before they come to your house and remove your computer.

Yes, I read that 500,000 or 700,000 cars in Houston alone were flooded. The guy who towed me home Sunday told me how a lot of tow truck drivers were headed for Houston, though he had a wife and kid and worked all the time as it is and he wasn't going, and when we passed the rest/restaurant plaza, he pointed out all the trucks for home repairmen which had stopped there. And this is Maryland, pretty far away.

He said they tow them to car carriers and the car carriers take them... I don't know.

Reply to
micky

I don't see that as a problem. If you were to check my car service records for various cars over the past 20 years, the only places used were 22 miles and 26 miles from my house. Maybe daddy took care of it for her using a local to him shop.

I'm also glad to see everyone used the proper term VIN. I hate when people call it a VIN number or an ATM machine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Okay, I went back to look at the car again. It's only 0.7 miles away. That's by chance but it's good because I've been there 5 times.

And I had the number right, and not only that, it doesn't have plates but on the front is a dealer advertising "plate" that names the dealer where carfax says the owner had his early and late work done. (I think he had his warranty work done there, the later work at a tire store, and when he traded it in, he went back to the same dealer. They changed the pully and balancer and auctioned it, around a month ago, and the guy I'm dealing with has had it on craigslist for a little over 2 weeks.

So he's lying, but I can tolerate a little bit of lying, esp. since it's hard to avoid. Today he said explicitly that drving to Virginia means mostly highway driving, and he's also told me the belt and pump were just replaced, when actually I'll need another one in 2 or 3 years. After the deal is finished, I'll ask him if he's sure he did the belt and pump on this car, or maybe he's thinking of another car, and maybe he'll set me straight. I'll point out that if I wait too long, the belt will break and the car will be in trouble, and I don't think he's malicious, only looking for a sale. I'll try to report back.

And the town isn't 30 miles from here, it's 68, and where it is, much, maybe most of the driving probably was highway after all, though the seller doesn't know one way or the other. Anyhow, the car looks beautiful, better than the more expensive ones I saw.

I had the right vin. It's the story that's false. Can't have everything.

Reply to
micky

Okay, if you say so, but as you say, it is possible by making to mistakes to have the wrong thing and still pass.

It depends on where people are coming from and to. In this case, he tells me she livs and home and commutes to Va. The town where the car actually resided is 30 (I thought. Actually 68) miles in the opposite direction. There are plenty of places around here to get the car fixed and no one is going to go 30 miles to find someplace better. And it's not even one favorite place. It's 3 different places over the years.

Or she could get it fixed in Va. where she's been going to school. He says she doesn't drive during the week, so that's a perfect time to have the car fixed. Not to drive 100 miles north.

I knew more about this situation than you did when I reached my conclusions.

Reply to
micky

No. He didnt' tell me any shops.

I mean that year after year they went to the same shop. Actually a dealer. Then they changed to an "auto and tire" store and went there year after year, (and when they were ready to sell, I think they traded it in at that first dealer.)

Because the stories didn't match and there is almost** always a possibility that someone is telling the truth.

**We won't get into that here. There are enough other threads.

You didn't like my theory that vin numbers might be assigned consecutively in a given plant that turns out basically the same car for hours or days at a time?

68 miles.
Reply to
micky

But he lives right here too, and that I knew already. I didn't know how old she was or if she was still living at home, but he said today that she is, when she's not at college.

I see your point. I'm glad you're glad.

Reply to
micky

I just tried it and put my car in. It shows registration and emissions due dates, but no service at all. Only one oil change and tires was not done by the dealer so I guess they do not all participate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

70's. Born before it, not after it.
Reply to
micky

Sounds good. I'll look into it. Current phone broken in 2 or more ways but new phone with more space arriving within a month.

Though I usually use a camera when I plan to take photos.

Reply to
micky