Computers on the way out

Wouldn't we all! Unfortunately:

"Anyone caught manufacturing, selling, owning, or using a jammer in the U.S. is punishable by an $11,000 fine and up to a year in prison for each offense."

Have a good attorney on retainer.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Client side: yes Server side: no

Reply to
Man-wai Chang

That's really funny because the people who sell the cellphone jammers have revealed the fact that their biggest customers are US government agencies Federal, state and local. I would get a small one to switch on and off whenever some rude asshole makes inappropriate use of their cellphone because the importance of emergency calls concerns me. I would hate to be responsible for interfering with an emergency call to a doctor or someone who's job is to protect people. Those type folks will excuse themselves and go to a quiet area to carry on a conversation. I can usually tell who the rude, mindless, selfish jerks are so I would enjoy a small jammer to mess with them by making their calls drop off.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Exactly, the OP likely works for someones marketing department.

Reply to
George

But you need to have access to a paper map. Electronic maps bring a lot to the table. I have never seen a paper map that can locate your position on it and tell you which direction you are traveling (pretty handy when it is pitch black in a rainstorm and you are in an unfamiliar area or you got forced off the highway you knew because it was shutdown say because of an accident).

I have also never seen a paper map where you could tap on it and have it tell you the route to the nearest hospital or the location of nearby restaurants (and link you to their website so you can look at the menu).

Reply to
George

I am a heavy cell user but I also know that technology doesn't trump basic courtesy and manners.

I find it really annoying to be assaulted by folks who are mannerless. If I am at a service the phone is *off*. If I go to a movie the phone is

*off*. If I am at a restaurant the phone is on vibrate so I can see who is calling but I will never answer it. If important I will walk out into the lobby and return the call.
Reply to
George

How does that work out portability wise? Do you have any issues getting it through the TSA checkpoints at the airport?

Reply to
George

Maybe try a different carrier? I have a 4G phone. When in a 4G area I typically see 9 Mb/s download (24 Mb/s in Philly last week) which rivals my cable modem at home. When in a 3G area I typically see 2 Mb/s download which is also quite usable.

Reply to
George

The Cloud does not equal mobile computing. You REALLY don't know anything about this subject, do you?

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Cynically speaking, it's a good move if you want to outsource the security issues and subsequent liability for when the security gets breached. I can see companies choosing this for precisely that reason

- "Losing your data to hackers was not our fault! It was the cloud storage company's fault!"

If you actually care about your data and security, that's a problem. If you rely on cloud services, your data and apps will be a hostage to the company's fortunes. Piss them off? Congratulations, you've just lost access to your data. Company went bankrupt? Same thing.

Ironically, the cloud concept is inherently disadvantageous to American IT companies, because anything stored on US-based servers can be accessed by the US gov't on demand. Foreign-based corporations and individuals don't like that one bit. If they choose the cloud, they will (and are) choosing companies that can keep their data offshore and out of the US gov't's hands. This places US cloud service providers at a competitive disadvantage. Of course, if it isn't the feds snooping, it's the Chinese hackers you've got to worry about.

They won't get bigger. There's a reason why the majority of books fall within a fairly small size range - they're meant to be portable, after all. And lcd screens are a good bit more fragile than books, and are the single largest consumer of electricity in an electronic device. Increase the screen size, you gotta increase the size of the battery, too. Now you're talking real weight and bulk issues.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

OR. OR OR they could just pick up a DAMN corded phone and use it. We did just fine without cell phones.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The house phone is usually out in the lobby but I know that in the more exclusive restaurants, the waiter would bring a phone to a patron. I've never seen a corded phone brought to someone in a theater or movie. The people with class know how to act with a cellphone and will go to the lobby to use their cellphone.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Unfortunately all of the marketing about "the cloud" has created the perception that giving all your information to someone else to store on their system out of your control aka "the cloud" is the way and the light...

Reply to
George

no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.

Reply to
Steve Barker

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never occurs.

Reply to
chaniarts

You can leave me out of the "We did fine without" group.

I would never ever go back to the days of wasting time because I didn't have communications. If for example the utility notifies you that they need to get into the apartment you own would you prefer hanging out for the day waiting or having the utility person call your cellphone from their cellphone 30 minutes prior to when they would be there?

If you were say driving to an event in the next state would you rather find out there was a problem (person in accident etc) after you drove 4 hours or would you prefer to be alerted shortly after you turned the key in your car?

Say a family member needs a medical procedure. Would you prefer reading old magazines for 5 hours instead of the recovery nurse telling you "give me your cell number and I will call you 45 minutes before you need to pick them up"?

And the list goes on. There is just too much utility value not to have and use one.

Reply to
George

Or anyone else who has a responsible job. Easy to handle though because you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you recognize as important you quietly make your way out to the lobby and call back.

Reply to
George

What horsecrap! You are so busy in your life, your own family members can't count on 5 hrs of concern on your part? They are so insignificant a business deal or dinner date is more important and THEY should be put on hold?

Take yer cell phone and jam it up yer ass! ...and don't bother to call.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons, put it in a rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came and got them. I don't know of anyone that is so important they NEED to be 24 touch.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

because you don't know of anyone, of course, means it never happens.

i'm on call 24/7 providing customer support for a computer company. i AM the covering call. i can either sit at home next to my phone, or i can do normal things like go out to to the corner restaurant for dinner or a local movie as long as i don't mind being paged out to go home at a moments notice. i prefer to have at least a modicum of a life.

Reply to
chaniarts